Looking to Build a Bass From Scratch

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by TyCobb, Feb 17, 2014.

1. TyCobb

TyCobb

For a quick background, I have always wanted to pick up wood working since I finished my 7th grade wood working class about 17 years ago. I have also been thinking about buying a new bass. So today I thought, "why not kill two birds with one stone?".

I have been trying to find good articles on how to properly build a bass and I have not yet found any. I did, however, find some decent articles on the general process and a YouTube video or two, but nothing I can really go off of.

What I need to know are actual specifics for neck width, length, determining where the bridge should sit, fret sizes, how to actually assemble a neck and install the truss-rod, etc. Since I know it isn't just glue wood, shape, screw stuff in, done. Now don't worry, I am not asking for everyone here to write up instructions; just need some good source material so I can read and research.

I am really wanting to go into this with as much knowledge as possible so I have less of a chance finding out something is horribly wrong right after I string it up and tune it to find out my 12th fret is 2 notes off or something stupid.

I do, however, understand that my first bass will probably be fairly low quality since my woodworking skills are non-existant at the moment. With all that said, I am actually really excited to attempt this. Plus I get to buy tools! What guy couldn't love an excuse like this :hyper: !

Thanks in advance for any help. I would also appreciate any general tips when it comes to building a bass.

2. bassteban

bassteban

Go read up in *luthiers corner*...
    Also, read Melvyn Hiscock(sp?)'s book on building

3. JennySuzuki

JennySuzuki

There are books on the subject, and if you're going to go to the expense and difficulty of building a bass from scratch, don't cheap out on your source / instructional materials.

4. TyCobb

TyCobb

Thanks a lot for the information. Will definitely look into purchasing some books first now that I have some recommendations.

Much appreciated on the reference to the Luthier forum. Gives me lots of extra reading while I decide on books and wait for them to actually arrive.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. fnordlyone

fnordlyone Supporting Member

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f57/

There is a vast wealth of knowledge on TB :bassist: and you might get into a conversation with someone who totally hooks up the knowledge. I've learned everything free here. Sorta the point of talkbass, IMO.:hyper: Use google to search talkbass like this: (whatever u want to know) talkbass. There will be some snarky people here, but ask your questions with enough data for response¬Ö and TB can open its heart to you. Ignore the trolls.:rollno:
    welcome to the land,
    fnord!