Looking to Build a Bass From Scratch

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by TyCobb, Feb 17, 2014.

1. TyCobb

TyCobb

For a quick background, I have always wanted to pick up wood working since I finished my 7th grade wood working class about 17 years ago. I have also been thinking about buying a new bass. So today I thought, "why not kill two birds with one stone?".

I have been trying to find good articles on how to properly build a bass and I have not yet found any. I did, however, find some decent articles on the general process and a YouTube video or two, but nothing I can really go off of.

What I need to know are actual specifics for neck width, length, determining where the bridge should sit, fret sizes, how to actually assemble a neck and install the truss-rod, etc. Since I know it isn't just glue wood, shape, screw stuff in, done. Now don't worry, I am not asking for everyone here to write up instructions; just need some good source material so I can read and research.

I am really wanting to go into this with as much knowledge as possible so I have less of a chance finding out something is horribly wrong right after I string it up and tune it to find out my 12th fret is 2 notes off or something stupid.

I do, however, understand that my first bass will probably be fairly low quality since my woodworking skills are non-existant at the moment. With all that said, I am actually really excited to attempt this. Plus I get to buy tools! What guy couldn't love an excuse like this :hyper: !

Thanks in advance for any help. I would also appreciate any general tips when it comes to building a bass.
  2. bassteban

bassteban

Go read up in *luthiers corner*...
    Also, read Melvyn Hiscock(sp?)'s book on building
  3. JennySuzuki

JennySuzuki

There are books on the subject, and if you're going to go to the expense and difficulty of building a bass from scratch, don't cheap out on your source / instructional materials.
  4. TyCobb

TyCobb

Thanks a lot for the information. Will definitely look into purchasing some books first now that I have some recommendations.

Much appreciated on the reference to the Luthier forum. Gives me lots of extra reading while I decide on books and wait for them to actually arrive.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. fnordlyone

fnordlyone Supporting Member

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f57/

There is a vast wealth of knowledge on TB :bassist: and you might get into a conversation with someone who totally hooks up the knowledge. I've learned everything free here. Sorta the point of talkbass, IMO.:hyper: Use google to search talkbass like this: (whatever u want to know) talkbass. There will be some snarky people here, but ask your questions with enough data for response… and TB can open its heart to you. Ignore the trolls.:rollno:
    welcome to the land,
    fnord!