Looking to downsize, your opinion is?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DeadGoonz, Feb 6, 2013.

1. DeadGoonz

DeadGoonz

I am looking to downsize my gear due to lack of a vehicle (I have a small car) to move my current rig to and from shows. I have a 1990's Mesa road ready 2x15 that I love but we lost our band vehicle and I need something I can transport with my car. I love the sound I get from cab but none the less I have to scale back and have to do it quickly.

Opinion time. What would you recommend that is slightly smaller and less weight but would give me the same air movement and large sound I am used to. I understand opinions will vary but just curious as to what you would choose as a smaller replacement for my current cab. All opinions are welcome and thanks.
  2. mgash

mgash

Check out the genz-benz. That is what i will be switching to
  3. cnltb

cnltb

Glockenklang blue soul is the only one of these small heads I tried and liked.
  4. DeadGoonz

DeadGoonz

Anyone ever played a GK MBE-4x10 Ultralight cab 8 ohm? Have a guy who may want to do a trade but I have never played/heard one?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Your car better have a hatch if you are thinking anything over 210.

I couldn't fit a 4x10 in any kind of production car without a hatch that I can think of.
  7. baba

baba Supporting Member

Check out the Genz Benz 212 Neo cabinet. It's a very light, well made, and great sounding cabinet.
  8. dhsierra1

dhsierra1

I'd look at a pair of neo 1-12s. Lots of good choices out there, I like the GK Neo's myself. I have a small station wagon so a lot of my cab choices are based on cubic feet, how "dividable" they are, and how much SPL I can get out of them.

Based on those parameters the calculus works out (for me) to two 1-12s as the sweet spot. I can even get them in my girlfriend's sedan with no problem.
  9. gmarcus

gmarcus Supporting Member

10. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

What about Barefaced?
  11. DeadGoonz

DeadGoonz

Wow, thanks for the link. That was way more info than I was expecting. Sounds like a decent cab I am just unsure if it can replace my Boogie 2x15. But then again I am not sure anything can. Thanks everyone for your input and keep your opinions or experiences coming.
  12. dhsierra1

dhsierra1

does the Road Ready have the EVM-15Ls? Those are pretty special drivers :cool:

Maybe find/build a couple of 1-15s and load those in there? The old EV TL 606 cabs were designed for those drivers.

Optimally you'd want 3 to 3.2 cu ft each and a box tuning of either 55Hz or 40Hz depending on the low end voicing you're looking for.
  13. PDGood

PDGood Supporting Member

This is exactly what Audiokinesis makes. The Thunderchild series and also the Hathor line have small footprints, light weight, and move way more air than typical cabinets you'll see in a big chain store. They also sound incredible. There are extensive threads about those here.

Also, Greenboy's fearful/fearless cabs move lots of air and are highly regarded, but in general are not aimed as much for the smaller/lighter criteria.

One design feature to consider when moving cabs in a car is that tall is OK, but deep (thickness front to back) is not. Those are almost impossible to get in a car door.
  14. ACNick

ACNick Guest

I've been stuffing my Ampeg 410 HLF in the back seat of my 4 door nissan for the past couple years. It's tough, but not impossible, and that is a monster cab! Loading time is a game of tetris with a 100lb block.

*wiggle a little to the left*
    *raise the back*
    *keep those casters away from the tinted window!*
  15. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    The GK MB Series of heads, combos and cabs is pretty impressive. I'm gradually being assimilated.
  16. DeadGoonz

DeadGoonz

Yes I believe that is what it is loaded with, never thought of splitting them. Something else to consider. I do love the cab and speakers.
  17. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

Bill Fitzmaurice DR250.

lowsound