1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Looking To Get a New Rig

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by MetalcoreBP, Jan 22, 2013.

1. MetalcoreBP

MetalcoreBP

I've been playing with my drummer friend lately and my Peavey TKO 75W combo is terrible. I'm working on getting a new head and cab in the 300W range. My question is, are there any brands that I should stay away from? What would give me the most bang for my buck? Unfortunately, I just bought a new bass last week so the wife is going to kill me if I spend too much. I searched this forum, but couldn't find what I was looking for.
  2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

I would decide on a budget and go from there, shopping used. Something like a GK400rb and a 215 would be killer.
  3. MetalcoreBP

MetalcoreBP

My budget is essentially the lowest possible. I've been looking at used gear and $400 might be enough to get me what I need.
  4. carl h.

carl h.

Craigslist.

Might pick up a nice deal there. For $400 I picked up an SVT410 HLF with a B2R in nice condition. More than enough for your needs, and in your budget. Keep your eyes open and ask questions/ search for info online before buying.
  5. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

+1.
  6. MetalcoreBP

MetalcoreBP

I found a Hartke HA3500 for a great price. Would this amp head be able to cut through some loud metal?
  7. lomo

lomo passionate hack Gold Supporting Member

Cab is more critical than the head for volume. A decent 410 or 215 recommended.......or an 810 if you're willing to haul it.
  8. CL400Peavey

+1
  9. MetalcoreBP

MetalcoreBP

Now I think I found a decently priced used Carvin 2x15. I can't find any info on these. Can anyone enlighten me and let me know if this would be a good choice to go with a Hartke HA4000?
  10. Raymeous

Raymeous

I think the Carvin 2x15 is a PA cab but it would work.

It all depends on what you’re looking for: Modern clarity or classic warmth?

For me I like clean articulation. I didn’t spend all this time learning how to play for my playing to get lost in “flubby mush”. That being said I’m using a Carvin BX1500-BRX10.4 rig. I do live near the factory and was able to try out everything before I bought it. So my rig is admittedly one of their more expensive head/cab combinations at around $1,200 but you can get an even more affordable set up for about $600 for the 500w head and 2x10 cab!

Here are some links (and no I don’t work there and I don’t get a commission):

500w head into BR10.2 cab - $569
    http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/BX250-210

My rig 1500w head into BRX 10.4 cab - $1,099
    http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/BX1500-10.4

Yes but what do they sound like?
    If you want to hear what they sound like here’s a video of Sekou Bunch showing off his signature model. I was able to ask the staff about how this vid was recorded and what they told me was that this was run from the direct out of a B1500 head into ProTools. It also sounds just like my amp! Lol.

http://www.carvinchannel.com/play.php?vid=188
  11. MetalcoreBP

MetalcoreBP

I did some more research and it looks like carvin made the 2x15 in the 80s. The can looks very 80s so I have a feeling it's been around for a while.
  12. MetalcoreBP

MetalcoreBP

Okay. I found a head, but I'm looking in the used section of guitar center at 410s and it appears that $200 is the price point of a lot of cabs. Can you guys let me know which brands I should avoid? I see Trace Elliot, Line 6, Hartke, GK, Peavey, Fender, etc. No clue what to go with. I tried to search this forum, but the search function on the android app is rather limited.
  13. CL400Peavey

If you are looking at a used 410, Peavey's are my preference.
  14. grendle

grendle Supporting Member

yep buy used. A peavey 4x10 and hartke 3500 can be had for about 400 used in decent shape. no need to really upgrade from there if you dont want. Hartke heads are the best bang for the buck imo.
  15. klejst

klejst

A lot of good advice and suggestions on here. I personally would also check out Guitar Center's used gear pages, there you can specify a min and max dollar amount and then browse what comes up for a head and cab. I bought my Mesa 2x15 and Peavey T-Max head off there for less then $400. Plus buying through them you get a 30 day return policy in case something happens. Brand wise just keep an eye out for deals, however you cannot go wrong with Peavey. Great gear that will last pretty much forever and at bargain prices when shopping used.
  16. MetalcoreBP

MetalcoreBP

Am I wrong in assuming that I can't go wrong on a well known 4x10 considering that I'm coming from a low end Peavey combo? I went to the local GC by me last night and they didn't really have much as far as bass amps for me to try.
  17. B-string

Well avoid (IMO) GC's Acoustic, Fender, some Eden and G-K BackLine series. Test any cab and look closely that all drivers are moving equally. If a warranty is offered this is the one place IMO you might be advised to purchase one.
  18. MetalcoreBP

MetalcoreBP

Unfortunately, I can't test the cabs since I can't locate any 4x10s in my area. I'm going to be ordering a used one from GC online.
  19. B-string

Use the ship to store option so you can test before you take it home.:)
  20. tdub0199

tdub0199

+1