Looking to get into upright again?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Rapisme, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Rapisme

Rapisme Supporting Member

2. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

You need to find out what it needs, if anything, to get it solid and playable. Take it to a bass luthier to have it evaluated. Then add up the purchase/repair prices. If over $2k, probably a pass. Looks like an older Czech/German ply. It does not have an ebony fingerboard, which devalues it.
  3. Rapisme

Thank you...seller doesn't seem to eager to supply details.
  4. webelo

webelo

I'm by no means an expert... but the end pin looks a lot like my 60s ply Juzek.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

You could pay a luthier to check it out with you on site if you're really interested, but there are plenty of basses for sale out there...
  7. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

It's a fun-size bass and the scenery around it gives me the willies.
  8. AverageWhiteBassist

AverageWhiteBassist Supporting Member

I actually stopped by today, and you couldn't be more right. Imagine the dude meets "Misery". It ended up being a 1/4 bass, nasty poor quality repairs throughout... name it. BUT, he did show me his bed pan cello... I'm retiring from picking. I did grab the Kay bow and bass clamps. The bass itself was a waste of a trip.
  9. Rapisme

That probably explains responses I'm getting from
    The seller.
  10. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

I'm glad you lived to tell the tale. There's a bad photo of a bass or a cello with no top in one of his ads. Did you see what that was?
  11. AverageWhiteBassist

AverageWhiteBassist Supporting Member

Nope, but his house looked like the Texas Chainsaw Massacre with instrument carcasses everywhere. I will give him that he does-assuming he was telling the truth-really nice wood work on the instruments he built. I don't know if they sound like anything but he can make them look nice. He has many instruments on hooks on the wall, look nice but more of art than of instrument. The only other creepier pick I had was buying a drumset from a lady who had rats for pets-which to each their own-but they were roaming free and I took my wife on me with that one. She is still mad at me. Congrats to all who decided not to make this trip... I told the guy his bass is worth less than $100, he tried to counter with $400. I bet he holds onto that bass for a LONG time.
  12. Rapisme

Oh my... Well average thanks for the scouting report.. I'm sure I just would have thought it was a good deal and probably would have a couple K's thinking it was worth sVing!