Looking to get myself a reasonably cheap electric acoustic?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jakeybassy123, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Jakeybassy123

Jakeybassy123

Been wanting to get an electric acoustic for aaaaages, but i have no idea as to what to get... Can anyone help.
  2. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

Fender Kingman acoustics are a good buy now.
  3. bassist4dalord

bassist4dalord

I have an Ibanez AEB5E which I got for Christmas from my wife. It looks amazing and feels and sounds really good. I still have the factory strings on it; they're going to be replaced with D'Addario Tapewounds sometime soon.

I haven't used it plugged-in, and I think I'll want to get a Planet Waves Screeching Halt soundhole cover before I do, just to be safe. I highly recommend this thing! Under $200. Can be had as a fretless, too.

[​IMG]
  4. Rob Martinez

Rob Martinez

Why? You can't play them acoustically with acoustic guitars. They are not loud enough. Also, they don't sound good plugged in.

That is just my experience. Get one if you want, they are cool, quirky things. But a $300 Hofner Icon will do as much. And sounds great plugged in!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. robd

robd Supporting Member

Check out the Deans. MF has a few for under $100 used on their website
  7. bassplayer1960

bassplayer1960

a Godin A4 will make enough sound for enjoyable solo practicing. Plugged in they sound great, particularly the fretless versions with Labella black nylong strings. They are now around $1k new but sell used for about half that. i own two and they are a lot of instument for the money. Canada/USA made to boot!
  8. bassist4dalord

bassist4dalord

Ugh, I could rip apart this statement right now but I don't feel like getting banned. There are so many reasons why one would want to buy an ABG. He does not need to justify his desire to own one to you.

OP, take a look in this thread. Nothing but helpful, no-nonsense posts from people who like ABGs.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/acoustic-bass-fetish-club-part-2-a-665642/
  9. Rob Martinez

Rob Martinez

My, my! No need to get defensive. Or offensive. I speak from experience. If the OP wants one, he should get one. I am happy I sold mine.
  10. carl h.

carl h.

Careful with Dean. I have one that plays like a dream, but it is an older model that is no longer available. The store I work in ordered in 2 5 string acoustics and they both are problematic. Fit and finish is pretty poor and electronics are very weak. I'm not a gear snob, but I have tried to play these things on days where I didn't feel like using mine, and both times I gave up. The sound acoustically is OK at best (OK for acoustic basses), and plugged in they need help, the signal is too weak and the tone slider is useless.

The Fender is a better bass than the current Dean offering, though I prefer my Dean to the Fender.
  11. blastoff99

blastoff99 Supporting Member

I would not buy a Dean. Well, I did, new, but it came to me completely unplayable. Dean wouldn't do anything except have me ship it to them at my expense so they could fix it at my expense. This lack of warranty support was supposedly because I didn't have a warranty card. Well, they never sent one. There wasn't one in the factory-sealed box.

I ended up sending it back to the retailer for a refund. Shipping was at my expense there also. Basically I got completely screwed. Dean's total lack of support and the attitude of the customer service rep were real turn-offs. I will never buy another Dean instrument again, and I will recommend to everyone who asks that they don't, either.

So there.
  12. bassist4dalord

bassist4dalord

Sorry about that. You are entitled to your opinion, of course. It just seems like, whenever someone posts about buying an ABG, somebody comes in and says they're pointless. Didn't mean to go postal on you.

I'm glad I have an ABG. It suits my needs perfectly. I highly recommend the Ibanez AEB5E for under $200. Good luck!
  13. Rob Martinez

Rob Martinez

It's cool! I can be forceful in my opinions, but I am really just trying to be helpful. Having said that, like anything, if someone enjoys the ABG and likes jamming it, that is VERY cool. I love my Hofners, but some folks think they are junk. That's cool too!

In the spirit of peace, I saw a VERY cool looking Fender acoustic bass last this past weekend and it had a burst finish, VERY nice!
  14. kellyrojo

kellyrojo

Ubass!?????.
  15. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

Indeedily doodily.
  16. Jakeybassy123

Jakeybassy123

Thanks everyone! Much appreciated. I think I probably will get the inane a couple of you mentioned; looks like a solid buy.