1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Looking to start my amp gear collection, need help

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Aznslappadabass, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Aznslappadabass

Aznslappadabass

I've played bass for a few years now and most of it either through a starter pack 10 inch 15w practice amp. When I played gigs and such in college I was able to borrow an old 50w combo amp that weighed a ton and didn't sound all that great. It worked for my small college club group's events since they had the ability to run my output to speakers. Now that I've graduated I'm back to what I own, which isn't much. I'm looking to start a band with some locals and I'm looking for an amp that is around 100w (band will have drums, guitar, and probably an electric violin) that can be supplemented further with cabs. To be honest I have an idea but I don't know if it's a good one. My budget at the moment is around $300 to start and more later when I start working in 6 months. I'm thinking of getting a GK mb110ii when it becomes available and expanding upon it with cabs in the future. What do you all think? Am I completely off base? Should I be looking elsewhere? The reason I picked GK is because it's light and I've heard great things about their sound.

Thank you for any help you can offer.
  2. Lowactnsatsfctn

Lowactnsatsfctn

300 bucks goes far is you shop used. A GK backline 600 is a good amp that can be had for 100-150ish. Then Id look for a decent used 210 cab with the rest. If you think your band will be loud, look for a 215 or 410.
    Untill then, play every thing you can and get a feel for what you want

As far as the MB110ii, Im sure its great for practice and an acoustic duo. But a single 10 won't hang with a drummer regardless of how many watts you put through it
  3. Aznslappadabass

Aznslappadabass

Thanks for the tip, just to clarify? Would it not make sense to get the combo amp and try to add to it? The reason I mention is that can really use a combo amp's portability, just wondering if for later I can add some cabs to it?
  4. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Depends on the combo. Some are maxed out from the getgo, like Rumble350.

Yes, you're completely off base with the 1x10 combo. It won't keep up with drums. To expand it you have to add another powered cab, meh.

Get some used stuff and you'll have more for all the other gear you'll need, leads, mic stands, mics, PA.
  5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

I would advise against a combo amp, but if you must, be sure it has at least a 15" spkr, and the ability to add another. Really, 300 watts is the starting point for giggable bass amps, and spkrs are where you get the volume. Peavey made some good combo's that will work, but many will not. New Acoustic combo's are tricky- you can add an ext cab, but lose wattage doing so. Avoid those. Good luck.
  6. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    do you have a pedal or preamp? you could get a sansamp. eventually, IMHO every bass player should own a quality DI. $100. power amps are inexpensive compared to heads for watts/dollar. 200w/ch ~ $150. spend the bulk of your budget in the beginning on really good CABS, playing all the amps you can try out, saving for the one you eventually decide on. also, you'll still have that power amp for a backup or monitors or something else.
  7. Aznslappadabass

Aznslappadabass

:eek:Thank you for all the replies. I have a lot to sift through.:eek:
  8. Cirk

Cirk

Have you considered building your own cabs? There are some good plans around, and it may be cheaper than buying one. Of course, do the math before spending any money.

All the best in your search.
  9. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Any of the G-K MB II combos will expand with the G-K powered MBP cabs.
  10. Aznslappadabass

Aznslappadabass

I took another look at the possibility of a light head and cab set up, I'm pretty impressed with the GK mb200 head, what would be a cab that you'd all recommend for it, should I go that route?
  11. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    A pair of 8ohm 112's, 115's or 210's. Or a single 212, 215 or 410.

Newer, higher end mid driver loaded cabs are cool, but probably out of your price range for most of them. With a smaller amp like that, use more speakers rather than fewer ones that can take a ton of power. Shop quality used rather than budget new, you'll get better stuff for the same money. Though some budget speakers like the newer GK mb's, Genz Focus, or Ampeg 210AV's that come with the little mini SVT looking stacks are decent stuff.
  12. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Also Avatar and Carvin for decent stuff on a budget.

If you do get a combo, make sure it is also a 112, 115 or 210 and make absolutely sure it has the ability to chain another speaker to it to turn it into a "short stack". Also has a DI to chain yourself to the PA when needed (most have that now).
  13. Aznslappadabass

Aznslappadabass

Are there any links you guys can send, I'm starting to get a little lost on the numbers, sorry.
  14. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Nailed on the first response:
    Except swerve the 4x10.

Look for some used gear available to you locally and post questions about that.