Looks like Costco is coming to town......

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mike N, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Supporting Member

Should I be excited or is this just another flavor of the month wholesale club?
  2. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    It depends what you need as a shopper, but Costco will bring good prices and good quality items along with good jobs. I shop there regularly.
  3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Be excited. Costco is awesome. Customer service is top notch and the products they sell are excellent. When we lived in NH, we drove 90 minutes one way to shop there.

-Mike
  4. Mike N

Anything that can bring jobs to the area is a plus in my book. We've lost enough with Kodak and Delphi going down the tubes, but that's a topic for a different thread.

Is Costco one of those places that you have to pay for a membership like Sam's Club or BJ's Wholesale? Ive been to both but generally get turned off by having to pay to be a member. Plus I've noticed with food shopping (especially with Sam's) that unless you're shopping for an army there's better deals to be had at your basic grocery store.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    Yes. Membership fees and large quantities, but with planning you can pick up items with limited spoilage. Rarely an issue for us despite being a two mouth household.

They regularly get recognized as a high quality employer, fair pay, good benefits unlike the Walmarts out there.
  7. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    $55 / year, I think. You'll save at least that much, and if you get their Amex you'll get extra cash back on top.

Packages are bulk-size, so you'll get more out of it if you have storage space and a decent size freezer, but you don't need a lot of extra room. Not every bulk pack is huge - for example stuff like bread comes in bags of two loaves, instant coffee in packs of two jars, etc.

If you've got pets their own brand cat and dog food is pretty good. Their steaks are very good for the price.
  8. bolophonic

bolophonic

Costco brings the kind of jobs your town can really use. Much better than supporting Walmart.
  9. Mike N

Other than buying bullets (when they have them) I avoid Wally World like the plague. most of the mega clubs and 'marts just turn me off I general...... Cheap junk and vastly underpaid employees. I prefer regular grocery stores (and Lord knows we have enough to choose from in Western NY) or close out places like Big Lots or Ollie's.

I've looked at Costco's website and it's impressive. Heck, I could buy a two post lift for my garage from them if I really wanted to. I wonder if they give non members a free first time walk through before I need to cough up for a membership?
  10. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

Warehouse club thingys are beneficial for some people and not so much for others. Prices are so-so compared to Wal*Mart. I get my money's worth from the gas station, tire and optical departments.
  11. UncleFluffy

Disclosures:
    Costco is much better quality than Mall Wart. Probably better than my local Safeway, tbh.

No, but if you have a friend who is a member they can bring you in as a guest.
  12. tplyons

tplyons

Costco is a good egg... and they're great to deal with from a manufacturer's point of view too. And I love shopping there... for $55 a year, I save $20/box for contact lenses and I go through about 8 boxes a year. It's a no brainer.

That, and buying batteries in bulk... and giant bags of frozen potstickers and popcorn chicken... and don't forget that many locations even carry Mexican Coke regularly.
  13. Rob22315

Rob22315

Costco is great for meats too.

They used to have some very generous return policies as well. You could return almost anything (except consumables) at any time for any reason. They may have changed some of those so read the fine print before signing up.
  14. elgecko

elgecko

I have many friends who are fans of their tire and gas prices.
  15. UncleFluffy

Disclosures:
    ... and, most importantly, their TP is way softer-but-tougher where it counts than anything else in the same price range ...
  16. Immigrant

Immigrant

It's so good, it's addictive. Seriously. Use it for a couple of years and then buy some MD in a pinch between Costco trips. I haven't dreaded pooping so much since I was a kid. Everything else is substandard compared to the Kirkland stuff.

The Costco membership pays for itself and IIRC, the Executive membership has a rebate deal where they literally pay for your membership if you use it right. I'm poor now, so I only have the regular membership and use it for cat litter, TP, and Kirkland brand Benadryl (600 pills for $4.50!) and Zantac knockoff (192 for $9).

There was an inside look at Costco on CNBC once. They take excellent care of their employees, and that's something for a retailer to be proud of. They also stated that they don't markup anything more than 15% of cost.
  17. UncleFluffy

Disclosures:
    We haven't even got to the $1.50 for a Polish dog + soda with unlimited refills deal yet ...

Yeah, I'm a fan. Good prices, good quality, look after their people, look after their customers.
  18. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

I share a membership with a buddy solely because their prime meat department is the bomb. Steak 2-3x per week because of Costco
  19. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    I like Costco, even in a household of two, there are so many things at a great price, T.P., Olive Oil, frozen chicken......etc. I think you'll be glad they came to town!
  20. ZenG

ZenG

At the Costco up where I live:

They have lots of good deals on food and meat. And the usual household items (detergent, toothpaste,cleaners etc etc etc etc.)

Anything else the price is the same or worse than elsewhere ( cameras, watches, t.v., phone, tools, etc etc etc etc).

My wife shops for food items there a lot.

I don't even bother going in there.

They don't take any kinds of chargecards there except their own ( but you pay a fee for theirs.....I don't care if they give me 2% off after I use their card....I don't want their card).
  21. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

My family shops at costco once in a blue moon to stock up on bulk non-spoilers. (soap and peanut butter are the two big ones). I once saw a woman returning an open jar of bean salad because it was too spicy for her. They accommodated her with no hassle. Plus, their in-house pizza is phenomenal (imo).