Looks like it runs in the family ...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Munjibunga, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yesterday I went to pick my daughter up after school. Usually my wife picks her up, so I needed to text her to let her know where I would be parked. I don't do much texting, and I usually sign my texts "Dad." Well, she had admonished me a week ago that you don't sign texts. So I sent her the text, "I'm right at the bottom of the stairs. Luv, Dad." When she got in the car, she says, "Dad, spell out the words in your texts. I hate all that 2, u, luv stuff." I told her I couldn't control the pride welling up in my heart for her. A grammar nazi at 14.
  2. Tony Flow MMMM

Tony Flow MMMM Supporting Member

3. MarkMgibson

MarkMgibson

A 14 year old said this? Wow, you really should be proud.
  4. ggvicviper

ggvicviper P is the Key. Call me Marc or Marky Potatoes. Gold Supporting Member

Sounds like you did good, Munji!
    I hope she also grows up with your teetotaling habit as well!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. fraublugher

fraublugher

So, pecadillo's are learned behaviour based on your test , good work.:)
  7. Steve

Steve

An apple doesn't fell far from the tree.
  8. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

Yes she's a smartass just like daddy too.
  9. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

It probably has less to do with that sort of thing bothering her when other people do it, and more of a thing to do with it only bothering her when you do it. I did the same thing to my own dad when he started writing like that in emails he was sending me.
  10. dave64o

dave64o A legendary low talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

This is most likely what's going on. It drives my 15 year old son CRAZY when I text him using the same shorthand he does or when I use the same smileys he does. I suppose a geezery old fart like myself simply un-cool-ifies those things so much that he'd never be able to use them again. So now I have to text him using perfect English, which I prefer anyway because everything I send to him is clearly worded and is not open to interpretation. He, on the other hand, still feels free to use the unclear, imprecise, and undecipherable shorthand he wants and that's OK.

EDIT: Now get the h3ll off my lawn! :D :eyebrow:
  11. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

My daughter texts me with clear and concise English. Also, we've been listening to the Alvin Maker series of books from Audible.com. Each chapter is written in the colloquial English relative to the character the chapter is about. So a chapter about a backwoods miller has rough and simple English, while a chapter about an educated London attorney has very smoothly flowing, educated grammar. When the hillbilly chapters come on, my daughter can't help but complain about and correct the poor grammar. She's 9.

When people send me incomprehensible texts, or even texts with just a few bits of screwiness, I respond by asking them to try again.
  12. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

I hate "text speak" like that , anyone my age (23) that texts with crap short hand are usually really dumb. I honestly have never seen another person text like that , besides my 43 year old father. My mom actually texts clearly but she sends like 3 texts for what could be wrote in 1 text, annoys the crap out of me.
  13. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

With auto-correct on most smartphones, there's no excuse for not typing out a clear, concise message.
    :eyebrow:
  14. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually Gold Supporting Member

You meant to type...."A grammar nazi at fourteen". We hate all those pesky abbreviated numbers in threads.
  15. Phalex

Phalex Yeah, I've got the moves like Jagger. Supporting Member

Kind of like diahrea. It runs in your jeans........
  16. paste

paste Supporting Member

"A grammar nazi at 14" is actually correct. Number's over ten are spelled out in number's.
  17. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

Not quite true, paste:

1. Number versus numeral. First things first, what is the difference between a number and a numeral? A number is an abstract concept while a numeral is a symbol used to express that number. “Three,” “3″ and “III” are all symbols used to express the same number (or the concept of “threeness”). One could say that the difference between a number and its numerals is like the difference between a person and her name.

2. Spell small numbers out. The small numbers, such as whole numbers smaller than ten, should be spelled out. That’s one rule you can count on. If you don’t spell numbers out it will look like you’re sending an instant message, and you want to be more formal than that in your writing.

3. No other standard rule: Experts don’t always agree on other rules. Some experts say that any one-word number should be written out. Two-word numbers should be expressed in figures. That is, they say you should write out twelve or twenty. But not 24.

4. Using the comma. In English, the comma is used as a thousands separator (and the period as a decimal separator), to make large numbers easier to read. So write the size of Alaska as 571,951 square miles instead of 571951 square miles. In Continental Europe the opposite is true, periods are used to separate large numbers and the comma is used for decimals. Finally, the International Systems of Units (SI) recommends that a space should be used to separate groups of three digits, and both the comma and the period should be used only to denote decimals, like $13 200,50 (the comma part is a mess… I know).

5. Don’t start a sentence with a numeral. Make it “Fourscore and seven years ago,” not “4 score and 7 years ago.” That means you might have to rewrite some sentences: “Fans bought 400,000 copies the first day” instead of “400,000 copies were sold the first day.”

6. Centuries and decades should be spelled out. Use the Eighties or nineteenth century.

7. Percentages and recipes. With everyday writing and recipes you can use digits, like “4% of the children” or “Add 2 cups of brown rice.” In formal writing, however, you should spell the percentage out like “12 percent of the players” (or “twelve percent of the players,” depending on your preference as explained in point three).

8. If the number is rounded or estimated, spell it out. Rounded numbers over a million are written as a numeral plus a word. Use “About 400 million people speak Spanish natively,” instead of “About 400,000,000 people speak Spanish natively.” If you’re using the exact number, you’d write it out, of course.

9. Two numbers next to each other. It can be confusing if you write “7 13-year-olds”, so write one of them as a numeral, like “seven 13-year-olds”. Pick the number that has the fewest letters.

10. Ordinal numbers and consistency. Don’t say “He was my 1st true love,” but rather “He was my first true love.” Be consistent within the same sentence. If my teacher has 23 beginning students, she also has 18 advanced students, not eighteen advanced students.

http://www.dailywritingtips.com/10-rules-for-writing-numbers-and-numerals/

-----------------------------------------------------
    Kind of interesting although I am sure some "experts" would have points contravening some of the ten/10 points above.
  18. MarkMgibson

MarkMgibson

Yeah, I reckon that's probably it too. I'm sure Munji really is a hopeless father with an illiterate daughter. ;)
  19. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

I've heard people say "TTYL" even to exit a telephone call. I don't like the abbreviations either.
  20. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

eeeewwwwwwww.
  21. MarkMgibson

MarkMgibson

Some of it reminds of Orwells "Newspeak" from "1984". Complex thought requires complex language, so dumb down the language to such an extent that people won't be eloquent enough to incite protest.