1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

loop pedals are CONFUSING.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by SuperRich, Oct 10, 2013.

1. SuperRich

SuperRich

Okay, so,

Im a bass player obviously, but I love piano and synth so I want to play that aswell! so I need a loop pedal!

basically I want to be able to play a bassline for a few bars, loop it, then play synth over it, then loop that, then maybe have a prerecorded chorus synth part that I can have on another track and just activate.

I have NO IDEA what kind of loop pedal will do this. They seem so overly complicated!
  2. BigBassBob

BigBassBob

TC Electronics Ditto Looper.

It's pretty cheap and simple compared to most but it has five minutes of recording time, has CD-quality playback and is very intuitive:

http://www.tcelectronic.com/ditto-looper/

I use one for practising at the moment but I'm hoping to do some live work with it soon :)
  3. metaball

metaball

what you're trying to do is complicated. most loop pedals are designed to "loop" a single instrument. some of what you are asking for can be implemented by running all your instruments into a mixer & looping the output or a send from there. but then you bring in a prerecorded bit & expect it to blend seamlessly with the loops you've just built on the fly.

I think the Boomerang Phrase Sampler might do what you're asking but not quite in the way you're asking it.

here's a link to some loopers. it's a bit dated & does not include the Ditto & the Boss RC3, both of which are nice units which can do most of what you're asking, if used with a mixer, but not the last bit.
    http://www.loopers-delight.com/tools/tools.html

happy hunting!
  4. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix Supporting Member

Ditto will not do this, especially since you want pre recorded parts. Boss RC-50, RC-300 (these can give 3 parts per song at a time- verse,chorus,bridge). Pigtronux Infinity looper can have 2 song sections at a time. The EHX ones could work. There are also rack options.
  5. BigBassBob

BigBassBob

I completely skimmed over the part about pre-recorded parts. Yeah, my bad.
  6. DagoMaino

DagoMaino Supporting Member

Digitech Jamman products will do it. I use a Jamman Delay as a looper/sampler and it can do all of that. I believe the Boomerang will do it too. I actually use a LS-2 and a KP3 to loop and re-sample parts as well. Looping is really an art in and of itself. It will keep your mind running pretty quickly in a live application... especially if you are playing firmly structured songs or with a band.
  7. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix Supporting Member

Boomerang is nice but it does not have the ability to save loops or pre recorded parts, it has no permanent storage onboard.
  8. metaball

metaball

Minus the Bear uses a bunch of Line6 DL4's to stack multiple loops. They "pre-record" some parts during sound check.
    [​IMG]

i think it's kinda mad to do it that way, but it seems to be working for them.
  9. SuperRich

SuperRich

thanks for all the suggestions. anyone know any pedals with more than one input and output? or could I use the stereo in and out as two separate channels, one for each instrument ?
  10. mark roberts

mark roberts Gold Supporting Member

A Boss RC-3 will do what you want but I don't know about subbing two mono sources. Thinking not on that option. Solution. Run individual instruments into a mixer, mixer out to looper.
  11. spufman

spufman Supporting Member

If you don't need much looping time (you said a few bars), then the Headrush is fun and easy to use. I run an LS-2 into mine, which gives me three level-balanced inputs. The Headrush is a very nice delay pedal as well.
  12. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

I think you need a mixer for that, or maybe the boss rc300
  13. JehuJava

JehuJava I endorse myself Supporting Member

There are small pedal sized mixers out there, too. Don't think you need a giant one.
  14. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

+1 on the mixer. If you want 3 separate things, bass, keys, recorded content, then all of these must run into a mixer first, before hitting any sort of looper. After that, it's all about the timing.
  15. X8X

X8X

I do something similar (synth and bass into the looper on my GT-10B multieffects), but my setup doesn't do all the things you listed (only two inputs, only one track).
    I use a simple homemade pedal to switch between two channels (it works like the EHX SwitchBlade http://www.ehx.com/products/switchblade), but if I didn't have a volume pedal on the multieffects I would definitely get a mixer since in my experience it's borderline impossible to match the volume of the bass and the different synth sounds :p

For all these features you listed you're looking for a looper like a RC-30 or something better, the cheaper loopers like the Ditto and the RC-3 don't have multiple tracks.
  16. smeet

smeet Supporting Member

The RC-50 is the old version of the RC-300, it will all this and more. There's one still in the classifieds (I got the other one!). I don't have it yet, so I don't know how easy it is to use.
  17. Syxz_ML

Syxz_ML

I'm with a previous poster, Digitech JamMan is all you need. I use it for the exact same application you're looking for. I''ll loop a bassline then jump on my synth which is connected to its own amp. If I want to save a wav from my pc to either loop/trigger just once, I can store that on the pedal and its simple stomp and play. I can even bring in a loop from my pc, say looping sax riff , loop that then add a bassline real time, loop that over the already stored wav, then jump on my synth. You can see how the possibilities of playing several layers in a real time scenario are endless
  18. AlexBassMP

AlexBassMP

Maybe I'll get one of these.. I'm very curious about looping stuff.. and I want to experiment a little bit before I spend my money in a more complicated piece of gear
  19. MattStonewall

MattStonewall

I use a Boss 20XL Loop Station and it works well for me bud.
  20. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

The TC Electronics DITTO will do it and its really EASY to use too.

EDIT:
    I have a feeling at some point you're going to want/need a mixer.