1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Looper/Line Selector Questions

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by theholeinthings, Dec 3, 2012.

1. theholeinthings

theholeinthings

Okay so I have a few questions about loopers/line selectors. As of right now I'm really loving the distorted sound of my Tronographic Rusty Box going into my Darkglass B3K, but for what ever reason, at the moment, I prefer the clean tone of my Tech 21 BDDI over the Rusty's cleans. Now the BDDI does not, in my opinion, sound too good when combined with the B3K so I can't just use the BDDI with the B3K, when I want more dirt, I need to have the Rusty and B3K together...but I can't have the BDDI engaged when these two pedals (the Rusty and B3K) are on. So simply put, I want to be able to switch between the BDDI for my cleans and the B3K and Rusty Box for my distortion. Would a pedal like the Boss LS-2 solve my problems? I took a look at the manual and I think it would but I'm not 100% sure. Also, if the LS-2 would solve my problems, how would I hook it up? And finally, roughly speaking, what are the differences between the Boss LS-2 and other more expensive or less expensive options?...cause it seem to me that with such a simple effect there would be little to no difference. Hope that all makes sense and thanks in advance.

2. metalinthenight

metalinthenight

The LS-2 would work wonderfully. You would hook up the BDDI into loop "A" and the Rusty Box -> B3K into Loop "B." Then you would just select "A or B" mode on the LS-2 and jam away! Really simple!

The LS-2 has more options for signal routing and so forth, but isn't true bypass, meaning that when the LS-2 is bypassed the signal still needs to run through the circuitry of the LS-2 before it gets to the output of the pedal (if I'm not mistaken). One of the types of true bypass that is employed in a lot of the boutique options is a mechanical true bypass where the signal is completely taken out of the circuitry and goes straight from input to output more or less. Some people say the the true bypass switch is an effort to prevent signal loss as it passes through the circuitry of a bypassed pedal. For what its worth, the LS-2 and other boss pedals sound just find when bypassed, especially in a live situation.

3. theholeinthings

theholeinthings

Sweet! That is what I thought but wasn't completely sure. So that answers my first two questions...So for my purposes, what are the differences between the Boss LS-2 and other cheaper options? I think one of my friends could probably build me a line selector/looper for cheaper...is there any reason I shouldn't take him up on this offer and just get something like the LS-2? Once again I'm only concerned about switching between my BDDI for cleans and my Rusty Box and B3k for distortion.

4. metalinthenight

metalinthenight

I don't know about your friend's craftiness, or his electronic abilities, so I can't comment there, but the LS-2 is a great bang for your buck. It can do all sorts of signal routing, clean blending, "Y" signal splitting and merging, and you get control over the level of each of the two loops so you can balance everything out.

If all you need is what you described and you trust your friend (its a simple build), then by all means give your money to someone that needs it (Boss and Guitar Center certainly don't).

What you should do is really focus on what your needs are and what you think that your needs might be in the future. Then go from there. Either way should work out just fine for you.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jaibeau

jaibeau my fingers hurt Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:MIKE LULL Eden/washburn (usmusiccorp) Ernie Ball
    You guys seem to know this box, I'm finding it strange there is no option for A or B, A and B...yes, you can run A and B at the same time but not with the option to go to A or B without turning a knob, this is crazy to me...am I not seeing something right-

7. cheapbasslovin

cheapbasslovin

Media:
    Albums:
    If there is a fatal flaw on the LS-2 this is it. You could install a kill switch on one of the loops, or upgrade to a Badger Schism or one of the Wounded Paw blenders.

8. jaibeau

Disclosures:
    Yea, but the idea of the line selector is to not add pedals and extra tapping. I wanted simple A or B, A and B, bypass. How cld they miss that setting, there's so many unused ones IMO, stop the madness

9. jaibeau

Disclosures:
    Do you know of a pedal that good for my needs?

I need a box that will have an A or B (or C) , and any of those chains simultaneous or individual but with all shooting down on output (like the LS-2) don't need volumes though like the LS-2...I found a company on eBay that makes one, FX loopers- for $68 with all quality parts. Good reviews and feedback- View attachment 323532