Looper with drum machine

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassnat, Mar 17, 2011.

1. bassnat

bassnat

I would greatly appreciate any advice I can get concerning a combination looper and drum machine in the form of a pedal/board. I would like to loop a phrase and when I play it have it auto sync to the drum beat. I don't want to worry about perfecting the sync process. Thank you in advance for your comments.

2. BigOldHarry

BigOldHarry

yeah, that's a bit tricky... I I know that the Digitech has drum samples in it...

3. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

Rc-20xl has rythm patterns that sync with your loop... tey are awfull... but maybe the new rc-30 upgrade them

4. bassnat

bassnat

Thx. Any info is helpful.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. M Sterling

M Sterling Gold Supporting Member

If your drum machine and looper do not have the ability to sync up through MIDI, your best bet is to run the drum machine into the looper. So, you basically would be playing the drum beat into the looper and making that a loop phrase. Then you would loop your bass on top of that. It gets tricky if you want to change beats in the middle of a song, but otherwise it's pretty easy and effective. I used to do this with a Korg Kaossilator and an RC-2.

7. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Boss RC-2 has stock beats. There are a couple pretty cool ones. You can turn the volume on the "guide beat" up and down or off. This little box is stuffed with features,so it can be a bit complicated.

E2 HEAD RUSH this page has some cool links to KT Tunstall doing her thing. The trick is the small mixer that allows the looper to capture the beat and the "base" or first track at the same time.

Drum machines and loopers inevitably drift apart unless locked together with a midi clock. So you are on the right track to get it in an all in one package. Something that can take a couple inputs at once.

Disclaimer: I'm a looper addict and I've failed to master the RC-2, the Akia, or the Digitech timebender. Not one to give up easily, I'll be picking up a Jamman today.

Looping turns out to be harder than it looks, but its a cool practice tool, and a merciless playback of your sound.

8. walker rosewood

walker rosewood

In addition to the auto-sync, the RC-3/RC-30 also has a usb input, so you can make drum beats with whatever you want to, import it to as a .wav.

9. alec

alec

10. kenstee

kenstee Supporting Member

+1. Do not get a RC-2 until you get a chance to try their new RC-3 - to be released next month. From what I hear it has less drum tracks included. BUT - as noted, it has the ability for you to download and add drum tracks via a USB port. Interface looks may less-complicated as well.

BOSS U.S. - RC-3: Loop Station

11. SteveMcB

SteveMcB

I've done KT Tunstall style looping by running a Headrush E2 in the effects send of a small behringer or Mackie mixer. Then looping the drum machine plugged into the mixer, and bass and guitar lines as well.

Steve

12. bassnat

bassnat

I greatly appreciate all of the comments and continued feedback.

13. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

I started messing with the Jamman this weekend. First, I printed and read the manual, a personal best for me.

Far and away the best of the bunch. I should have started with a Jamman.

Simple operation. Clear manual. (The Akai headrush instructions were translated in to English, they were terrible.) Best of all, with the 1 gig card, there is tons of time.

The foot switch lets you change loops on the fly.