Looping pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by SanDiegoHarry, Mar 20, 2014.

1. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Supporting Member

I've been out of the loop for a while (forgive the pun) and so don't know what's new & cool with much of ANYTHING with bass gear, and I think I want a simple looper.

I did have a Boomerang 3 for a while a few years back - it was just "too much" -

Is it pretty much the boss RC-3 (or RC-30) and the Digitech Jam Man still?

Anyone have a preference?
  2. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Check out the Pigtronix Infinity and TC Flashback (standard and Deluxe) as well. I love my Boomerang 3, but for simple looping I'd seriously consider one of those depending on your needs...
  3. tracer03

tracer03

There's the TC Electronic Ditto...pretty simple.

Or its' big brother, the Ditto X2.

You could always try to pick up a used Boss RC-2 pretty cheap, as well. I nabbed one locally for $60 just to experiment with.
  4. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Yeah, if a Boomerang 3 was "too much" you probably don't want to hear my recommendations for a "new & cool" looping pedal, LOL!

But if simple & straightforward is what you're after the new tc Ditto X2 looks like it should be killer.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

I have a digitech jamman and wouldn't recommend it for looping with bass. I actually use it as a sampler for big bass drops and movie clips and stuff. It doesn't work very well as a looper because the input is way to sensitive. So you have to turn the input down a lot to keep it from clipping and when you do tone suffers.

Depending on how much function you want there are more options besides the boss stuff. The ditto looper is tiny and gaining a lot of popularity. I personally hope to pick up one soon, but i have a few other things that are more of a priority on the gas list. I've seen a few bassist use the line 6 m9 as well, it's got a lot more options than the ditto but your talking a lot more money an a much bigger pedal.

If you want something super cheap look at delay pedals thy have looper functions. For example you can pick up a digitech x series delay and it has i want to say an 8 second looper.
  7. low_E

low_E

I like the HardWire DL-8 because its simple, has good on/off feel for getting the loop right, true bypass and also has delays. You press and it will record when it hears something, let off and it will play the loop. If you tap again it stops and that loop is gone forever (which is kinda sad). You can also overdub by holding down but I don't do that.

I don't use it for actual songs but for utility. I mostly use it to slap in a drumbeat sound then play along with it to inspire creativity. I also use it to loop a riff and then adjust other pedal knobs and amp eq.

Edit: Actually its only true bypass if you set the delay to stop when the pedal is off. There is a switch inside that you can set to have the delay fade out naturally when you turn it off which is cool but that makes it not true bypass. Here is the manual http://adn.harmanpro.com/product_do...1349992689/DL-8_Manual_5024336-B_original.pdf