1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Loose B

Discussion in 'Ask Anthony Wellington' started by Bassman197835, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Bassman197835

Bassman197835

Any tips to tighten up the B string? This things like a wet noodle.. Its a though body string but it has a "Hipshot" so I did away with through body and it helped some! But its pretty floppy. Just the way the Bass is made? Or is there something I can do help it?

2. mcnach

mcnach

Different string brand? Higher gauge?
    What strings are you using?

3. Ant Wellington

Ant Wellington

4. Emanuel Apascaritei

Emanuel Apascaritei

Media:
    Albums:
    Hi Ant, I might have to desagree with you on this. My bass is a 34" inch scale fiver. I use a set of Fodera nickels .40 to .120. The .120 B string is thight and at 1.6mm at the 24th fret without buzzing (I have a medium-light touch). Before trying this bass I was after a 35" inch scale due to floppy B problems, but not anymore, so IMO a floppy B has more to do with the contruction of the bass itself than the scale lenght.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bassman197835

Bassman197835

Yea its a 34" scale... I use 45-130 and use nothing but DR. Things like a wet sketti noodle.

7. Bassman197835

Bassman197835

Will a 120 help or make it worse? I assumed thicker gauge stiffer string? But hey! Whatdo I know!

8. bass geetarist

bass geetarist Supporting Member

What DRs are you using? I use Lo Riders on my 5s and the B (130) sounds fine. I do believe Lo Riders are the highest tension rounds DR makes. I tried Hi Beams and the B was too floppy. I haven't experimented with any other strings, but I figured it was the higher tension of the Lo Riders that made the difference.

9. mcnach

mcnach

Are they Hi Beams? They sound nice but are a bit floppy... Try Fat Beams maybe?
    They have slightly higher tension and sound really good.

10. Emanuel Apascaritei

Emanuel Apascaritei

Media:
    Albums:
    And you´re right, a thicker gauge has more tension and stiffer. But if the bass is not so well contructed a higher gauge (stiffer) string or a higher scale helps a lot.

11. Bassman197835

Bassman197835

12. Ant Wellington

Ant Wellington

Yo Emibass,

You didn't didn't disagree with me. If you said that a 35" scale wouldn't make it tighter you would've disagreed with me. But you didn't say that. You just said that you found something that works for you.

My answer was based on science. Take a rubberband and pull it further apart and the rubberband gets tighter. And that is why grand pianos are shaped the way that they are. The lower(thicker) strings are lower.

Like I said,...

I don't think you disagreed with that.

peace,
    anthony

13. Emanuel Apascaritei

Emanuel Apascaritei

Media:
    Albums:
    Hey Ant, you're right about higher scale length more tension. But I also find that the same set of strings feel different on different basses with the same scale length and normally the better constructed the better feel (tightness)...but math is math and don't argue about that. But in terms of feel there are differences, at least for me.

14. Mrzonehead

Mrzonehead

FWIW I went from GHS Boomers to Rotosound and it made a world of difference. Not to say the GHS Boomers were bad, but for my taste, the Rotosounds made a big change on tension...

15. Ant Wellington

Ant Wellington

I agree with that. But science is science. The lower the note a instrument has to produce the bigger that instrument has to be.

That's why,...

Even though a violin, cello and double bass look the same they are different sizes. Lower notes require a bigger scale. That's science, not my opinion.

There are many reasons why an elephant and a bird sound different. One of the big reasons is scale

And actually, scale is the simplest solution. But,..you just can't change it 'after the fact'.

That's why Leo Fender didn't just put thicker strings on a Strat when he wanted to make a bass guitar. He knew that the E string should be at least 34". But he didn't account for the B string back then. Ideally, the B string should be 37". But that's too long for my short limbs.

But that is why the 'fanned fret' idea is genius.

peace,
    anthony

iwearpumas likes this.
  16. Emanuel Apascaritei

Emanuel Apascaritei

Media:
    Albums:
    Hey Ant, I'm gasing a 35" now.

Big hug to you!

17. Bassman197835

Bassman197835

I just know my B sucks balls! Anyone have a neck stretcher I can borrow?? I only need to go one more inch... :)

18. Ant Wellington

Ant Wellington

I'm not gonna' touch that one!!!!
    -aw

19. Bassman197835

Bassman197835