loose dials

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by cerokilik, Sep 24, 2013.

1. cerokilik

cerokilik

so I pulled my EB3 out of its vacation and one of the pots is loose. what/how do I fix this. also anyone think the wiring job is shotty on these basses? really electrical tape in place of soldering, come on epiphone/gibson.
  2. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man. Supporting Member

There's a nut under the knob that you tighten told hold the pot still.

Never heard of Epi using electrical tape in place of solder joints. Pics or it didn't happen and I may be tempted to call BS.
  3. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Don't know man. I once had a guy call and ask if I could get his new (to him) Triumph running. He told me the guy he got it from said all it needed was a tune up so I told him to bring it by and I'd take a look at it. When he brought it to my shop and we got it off the truck, it was wired with white lamp cord and all the wire joints where simply stripped ends that had been twisted together than taped with duct tape.

I am no longer surprised by any wiring I see when I open something up.
  4. cerokilik

cerokilik

The bass was brand new when i got it i just opened it up yesterday cuz of loose knob. Trouble might be it spins in the body and the knob was super glued back on so hopefully i can tighten it. I'll post picks of wiring soon
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

It may have been new to you, but someone got into it and screwed with it before you got it.
  7. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

While it seems impossible to imagine they've gone that far down, my brother was telling me the just the other day that epi has gone waaaaaay down in quality in the last year. He spent several months shopping for a new SG and he said the epi examples he's seen were pure trash. He wound up with a Gibson he paid over a grand for and I think he still likes his little stock MIM tele better.
  8. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist Gold Supporting Member

i was wondering about this, cause it seems like you can get the gibson melody makers and the weird blue sgs for almost the same price as the epis now, there seems to be a weird crossover between 200 and 400 dollars, maybe the cherry epi i got 3 years ago was just too good for it's price even though it was fool of rubbing compound dust which sometimes clogs the pickup selector