Loose Hipshot Extender Detuner

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bunkmunk, Dec 16, 2013.

1. bunkmunk

bunkmunk Supporting Member

Hey everybody! I'm having an annoying issue with my hipshot detuner. Every time I switch from E down to D and back again, it slowly unscrews the screw that holds on the lever. It eventually hangs loosely until it falls off.

I've tried to find a video or diagram that demonstrates the correct order the washers and screw go. It seems no matter how I put them, it either fits awkwardly or results in it unscrewing itself.

Please help, any pointers will be so appreciated.
  2. mech

mech

There's a flat washer that goes next to the screw head. Then the thin wave washer under it. Then the screw goes through the brass bushing in the lever and screws into the mounting plate.

Like any mechanical part that moves D-tuners may need service every few years. I have 5 and will take them apart for cleaning and lube at the first sign of acting wonky. They cost too much to replace.

It sounds like the pivot bushing of the lever is gummed up and you need to de-grease all these parts with rubbing alcohol and add a little bit of lube where it's needed, between the brass bushing and the inside of it's hole in the lever. The brass bushing is a few thousandths of an inch taller than the lever is thick so the screw head and washers should never be able to tighten down enough to put the lever in a bind. The lever should pivot on the brass bushing only and the bushing should be clamped where it won't rotate. Be sure to de-grease the threads on the screw and it's female threads in the mounting plate, too, so there will be enough friction for it to have no problem staying in.

After de-greasing, spread a teeny tiny dab of Vaseline inside the hole in the lever with a toothpick and insert the clean brass bushing. Then wipe both sides of the lever/bushing with a paper towel that's barely damp with alcohol to remove any Vaseline that is pushed out. With the lever bushing clean and lubed, the screw doesn't have to be extremely tight to stay in so don't over tighten and strip the threads in the mounting plate. Reassemble and enjoy.

mech
  3. bunkmunk

Wow. Great post. Thank you so much, that makes perfect sense!
  4. bunkmunk

Oh, another thing... Do you have any suggestions for the screw that adjusts the pitch it drops down to? I wish it rested in place a bit more snugly. Sometimes from moving around it turns a bit, so when I drop back down it's not in tune anymore. Like loctite, but not permanent.
  5. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

Fingernail polish on the threads. You can also stretch the spring out so it adds more tension and friction to resist the screw turning.
  6. Grissle

Grissle Supporting Member

Loctite 242 Blue, medium strength. It goes on all the the threaded/machine parts of any new or new to me instrument I've gotten for the last 20 years. Don't use the Red!
  7. mech

mech

^^^This. Also I'd de-grease the screw and it's female threads to increase the friction some. There's also a possibility the tuner is not rotating freely in the baseplate and is not coming to rest where it should. With no string on it should almost flop around. They aren't too difficult to take apart and clean/lube. If you post a pic of the one you can have I can probably walk you through it.

Personally I wouldn't use Locktite on a D-tuner. If the mechanism is kept clean and lubed where needed it's not necessary.

mech
  8. bunkmunk

Good replies, guys. I've taken it apart before moving it from the bass it came on to the one it's currently on. Looks like I'll be getting around to degreasing the whole thing and stretching some springs. Thanks again.
  9. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

Yeah, sorry no. You can't locktite a detuner screw: that's used to tune the drop note.
  10. Grissle

Grissle Supporting Member

Ya sorry, right stuff, wrong screw!