1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Loose jack

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Mossiebass, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Mossiebass

Mossiebass

So when I plug the cable into my Warwick Thumb, the jack doesn't hold it in place. There's almost no resistance. What do I do? What's wrong with it?
  2. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work Supporting Member

Sounds like the jack on the inside is bent or broken. If you have no soldering skills take it to a shop for them to replace the jack. If you know your ABC's about soldering then get a new jack and put it in.
  3. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Open it up and take a look. If the hot clip is bent, just bend it back. It's very easy to see where it engages the notch on the plug
  4. elgecko

elgecko

Yup, I'd try this first.
  5. JLS

JLS Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    your bass has a barrel jack, in which case you can't do anything but replace it. This would be a good time to think about modifying the instrument, so that you can use a decent 3 buck Switchcraft jack; when I replaced the jack in my Cirrus, I went with an electrosocket.
  6. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

Barrel jacks stink. Mod it out to a Switchcraft old school jack like JLS suggests. Or put a new barrel jack in and replace it again within 5 years, maybe less. They are kind of like a timing belt on the car; change it on a schedule or it will fail when you least can afford it to.
  7. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

Disclosures:
    GHS Strings, HipShot Products, Pick Guy custom picks
    Not as easy as saying it. :eyebrow: Take a look at the Thumb and consider what would be involved in your suggestion.

OP: buy another barrel jack.
  8. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

I was supporting JLS's suggestion :eyebrow: he suggested an Electrosocket too. So yes you'd have to have the hole enlarged: any good luthier or woodworker can do it easily. A worthwhile mod for a nearly bulletproof result. It was only an alternative and a valid one at that. JLS is not a neophyte in the bass repair world or TB; his advice is never random.