1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Loose jack

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Mossiebass, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Mossiebass

Mossiebass

So when I plug the cable into my Warwick Thumb, the jack doesn't hold it in place. There's almost no resistance. What do I do? What's wrong with it?

2. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work

Sounds like the jack on the inside is bent or broken. If you have no soldering skills take it to a shop for them to replace the jack. If you know your ABC's about soldering then get a new jack and put it in.

3. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Open it up and take a look. If the hot clip is bent, just bend it back. It's very easy to see where it engages the notch on the plug

4. elgecko

elgecko

Yup, I'd try this first.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JLS

JLS Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    your bass has a barrel jack, in which case you can't do anything but replace it. This would be a good time to think about modifying the instrument, so that you can use a decent 3 buck Switchcraft jack; when I replaced the jack in my Cirrus, I went with an electrosocket.

7. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man.

Barrel jacks stink. Mod it out to a Switchcraft old school jack like JLS suggests. Or put a new barrel jack in and replace it again within 5 years, maybe less. They are kind of like a timing belt on the car; change it on a schedule or it will fail when you least can afford it to.

8. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

Not as easy as saying it. :eyebrow: Take a look at the Thumb and consider what would be involved in your suggestion.

OP: buy another barrel jack.

9. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man.

I was supporting JLS's suggestion :eyebrow: he suggested an Electrosocket too. So yes you'd have to have the hole enlarged: any good luthier or woodworker can do it easily. A worthwhile mod for a nearly bulletproof result. It was only an alternative and a valid one at that. JLS is not a neophyte in the bass repair world or TB; his advice is never random.