Loose neck on my fender

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by schecter5string, Feb 7, 2013.

1. schecter5string

schecter5string

Last night a discovered the neck on my 95 fender had a very small amount of play. It can move about 1-2mm in the neck pocket.
    The screws holding the neck appear to to tight. Should I be worried about this?
  2. audioglenn

audioglenn Gold Supporting Member

I am not a luthier, but, none of my basses have any neck movement at all. That spans from the cheap ones to the expensive ones. I would try to get that rectified.
  3. sawzalot

sawzalot

The neck shouldn't move at all.
  4. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I think that the screws aren't as tight as you believe.

The screws must be slightly loose. If they're snug the neck won't move. Get a screwdriver with a good quality tip, align the neck properly and tighten them further.

If they keep turning, slack the strings, remove the neck, jam toothpicks and white glue into the screw holes, let it dry a bit, then re-install the neck and make sure the screws are tight.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. sonic 7

sonic 7 Supporting Member

Thats not uncommon, I pretty much solved that problem on my 78 jazz by replacing the wood screws with metal incerts and machine screws which can get tighter without stripping , then I cut a peice of fine drywall sanding mesh screen the shape of the neck pocket. That gets sandwiched between the neck and body, so far so good , the neck is tight and wont budge , and I think it even sounds better.
  7. darkstorm

darkstorm

Fender basses have looser neck joints then most in my experience.