loose new super slinky strings creating buzz?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by tony82, Feb 3, 2013.

1. tony82

tony82

Hi all!

I just bought new strings and decided to change the strings myself for once, I usually bring it to a store so they can adjust my action as low as possible (I'm not an expert...).

A pro friend of mine recommended the ernie ball super slinky (pink - 45 to 100) since I have problems with my fingers. I changed them following instructions at http://www.tunemybass.com/bass_string_change/ religiously - great resource btw. However I now have a major problem: I have a lot of buzzing :help:. Oddly, the string tension, especially for E, seems very low. Yet when I tune it, I'm already at low E... Tension-wise, it almost feel like I'm an octave too low.

Before bringing to the store for help, I'd like to know if I may be missing something obvious? I've tried to heighten my action again and while it helps a bit, it's still strikingly too loose. I wonder if it's just the combination of my bass (G&L tribute - L-2000) and those strings that just aren't a match made in heaven? Overall that bass has been rather praised so far considering it's a tribute series...

Anyway, any help would be appreciated!
  2. GK Growl

GK Growl

Chances are, the gauge of strings that you had on before these were much larger (at least 105 E string) and that is what you are noticing. Generally speaking, the higher the number, the tighter the string.
  3. songwriter21

songwriter21 Bassist for Chris Higbee Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Sponsored by Gallien-Krueger
    Even if you have perfect trussrod/fretboard relief, bridge saddles are set perfectly for height and intonation, a lighter string gauge will be just that, so you don't have to play as hard. You don't want too much buzz, but some gives some character...a "slinkier" sound, if you will...no pun intended. Of course, a well-made bass can go low without too much buzz, if any, just like Vic Wooten, or Stanley Clarke. Granted, their basses are STUPIDLY expensive, but they have really low action, and get that really twangy sound without much buzz at all. Hell, another good example, is Rex Brown's bass track, from the Pantera tune, "I'm Broken":
  4. elgecko

elgecko

You need a setup.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. FourBanger

FourBanger

Tell you what, my RBX170 is perfectly setup for 45-100s at the moment. We'll trade basses. You can keep the new strings you bought and send it without, thats okay, and I'll even pay shipping for each.

Consider it a favor:)
  7. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables, Dirtbag Clothing
    What strings were you using before ?