1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Loose Nut+Washer, Sunken Input Jack

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Sorrowspell1995, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Sorrowspell1995

Sorrowspell1995

I have an Epiphone Thunderbird Goth Edition that, starting a few months ago, the washer and nut holding the input jack in just...popped off. And this has been happening more and more frequently ever since. I took it into a repair shop, and they "fixed it" (taking more than a WEEK for such a simple problem, might I add) by putting a new washer and new nut on there (my old washer was lost, the old nut was later found). However, this has been popping off too, with greater and greater frequency. Each time this happens, I have to put a shoelace end or a paperclip into the input jack and wedge it up and out of the hole, place the washer and nut over it, and screw it back on, then releasing the wedge. This is getting very annoying to do. Can anyone diagnose what this problem is actually called or tell me how I can fix it in my own home? Any help is appreciated! :bassist:
  2. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Loc-Tite or clear nail polish on the threads of the output jack will keep the nut from coming loose.
  3. JTE

JTE

If keeps popping off, it seems the threads on the Jack are stripped. Replace the entire Jack, use a toothed lock washer. Fix the problem at the source.

John
  4. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

Yeah, if i'ts popping off you need a new jack... And lock-tite.
  5. throughthefire

throughthefire

If there's any thread left, use Loc-Tite Blue. Do NOT use Loc-Tite Red - you'll never ever get it off again.

If the thread is stripped, replace the socket - and then fix the nut with Loc-Tite Blue.
  6. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

A dab of rubber cement works too. And it's the OUPUT jack. The input is on your amp.