1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Losing rig weight, advice on lightweight amps & cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by lostcontrol_, Aug 22, 2013.

1. lostcontrol_

lostcontrol_

Hi everyone,

My current main setup is:
    Warwick Corvette Std 5
    -> effects (mainly dirt, delay)
    -> Genz Benz GBE-750
    -> Ampeg 2x15

... and it sounds _nice_. Thing is, the amp and cab weigh in at a total of 85kg / 187lbs or so and are a pain to move around. The Ampeg has wheels, but they really don't help diddlysquat if there be stairs on the way. Odds are that I'd rather take my backup (Trace Elliott AH150 SMC GP7 & GK Neo 115) to a gig simply due to portability and weight, even though the tone's a lot harsher (probably due to the GK Neo?) and less to my liking.

So, a good lightweight amp & cab is needed - and I have no experience with them. I play industrial rock and alt. rock/metal and am pretty much in love with Tony Pettit's tone (f.ex. The Eden House, http://theedenhouse.bandcamp.com/ ). In some live photos I've seen him play with an Ampeg 810 and an Ampeg tube amp, but that ain't light and could simply be a supplied backline.

Any recommendations where to start looking? TC 2x12's and GB Shuttles/streamliners look interesting on paper, but I haven't had a chance to hear them live or play them, so I don't have a clue on what they actually sound like.

Thanks in advance :)

PS. The budget's negotiable, would like to keep it under 1500€ (I'm in Finland). Would be replacing my current main setup. The used market is pretty decent here as well, lately I've seen Ampeg, EBS, Marshall, Aguilar, Hartke and Trace for sale there, with some Oranges, Ashdowns and GK's.
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Picking out a rig for you is like picking out a girlfriend for you ;) Though your friends all try to shove their opinions at you, you have to go with what you feel. Ampeg and Genz Benz stuff is both really good, though I prefer Ampeg. I use a PF350 or Micro VR into a couple 210av's for a light rig. If you need to go louder than that, you might look into the Portaflex cabs or these new 112av and 212av cabs they have coming out and a higher wattage head. But all those brands you mentioned make nice gear that's a little different from each other. You should go out and play as much of it as you can before you make up your mind.
  3. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Almost anything with a Neodymium magnet on the speaker will be significantly lighter than the regular model, and generally sound about the same.

I'm actually in a similar boat. I want to put together a lighter rig, because I'm old and can't afford roadies.

I generally like a 1x15 cab and a 1x12 + tweeter cab. In a perfect world I can get both in the same cab.

I'd love to find a really efficient Neo cab with a 15 and a 12 with a tweeter.

I actually find myself picturing a Schroeder 1215L on its side with the angled 12 pointing up at my head. I wonder how much Jorg would charge me for one with the name on sideways?
  4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You need a Gallien-Krueger MB Fusion 800 (5.5 lbs, 2.5 kg) and a Bergantino CN212 (46 lbs, 21 kg). No other rig will do. Unless you prefer a more tube-like vintage sound. Then the only rig for you is an Aguilar Tone Hammer 500 (4 lbs, 1.8 kg) and one or two Bergantino NV115s (53 lbs, 24 kg each). That pretty much wraps it up. Don't let anyone confuse you with other recommendations.
  5. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune Only immortal for a limited time Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    Well I dunno... when's the last time you said to your best friend, let alone an internet stranger, "You really oughta try my girlfriend..."

To lostcontrol, you might look into Barefaced, they make a high quality 22 kg tweeterless 215.
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Well there was that one night when we were drunk and...

:D
  7. sanderic

sanderic

Recently went with the Markbass 112 combo, 29 lbs, love it.
  8. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

You are in the EU? I suggest you check out Barefaced Bass. Any of their cabs will shed a lot of weight and pack quite a punch. For my tastes I would look at their Super 15 or their Big Twin. Pair that up with any of the high powered micro amps out there and you will have a killer rig.
  9. Jim Nazium

Jim Nazium Supporting Member

I have a fearful 12/6 and 12 sub that were built by Dave Homer of Gigmasters, using okoume plywood and aluminum grills. They're under 30kg combined, and moving two medium-sized cabs is a lot easier than one big one. They sound great and they're very loud, in fact at most of my gigs I don't even need the 12 sub.

The Barefaced cabs, which are made in England, are designed similarly to the fearfuls and have a great reputation. You might want to check those out.
  10. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

+1 to Dave Homer. He has built four cabs for me, and his work in okoume is stunning both in looks and weight.

+1 to Barefaced. If I was in the EU it would be my top consideration for cabs.
  11. sarsippius787

sarsippius787 Say it right! Say it with pleasure! Supporting Member

I can only speak in regards of what I am using. Markbass has a lot of lightweight gear, especially their Traveler cabinets.
  12. Chazinroch

Chazinroch Supporting Member

+1 The CN212 and the TH500 about 49.5 lbs total and they kick butt.
  13. jaibeau

jaibeau Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:MIKE LULL Eden/washburn (usmusiccorp) Ernie Ball
    Every time I grab the TH500 and turn on, I think I'm dreaming, this head for under 4lbs is just genius- the markbass 4-10 front port is a good accomplice to this head, ridiculous light as well for the sound that it produces-
  14. MCS4

MCS4 Supporting Member

Or the Markbass 4x10 rear-port, which is even smaller and lighter.
  15. tekdiver500ft

tekdiver500ft Supporting Member

Since you like your GBE750, I'd suggest one of the Shuttles. The most similar in terms of capabilities would be the ShuttleMax 9.2. Again, taking that you like the sound of your current rig into account, I'd suggest an Ampeg 115.
  16. HeavyJazz77

HeavyJazz77 Supporting Member

Neo drivers are getting pricey so you may have to search the classifieds a bit. I'm a big fan of the Epifani (UL2 and UL3) and Bergantino (CN) offerings in that category. As for light heads... I still haven't tried one I like though I 'suspect' the TecAmp Puma 500/900 or Glock Blue Soul are killer. Seems a safe bet...
  17. lostcontrol_

lostcontrol_

Thanks everyone!

I think I'll have to hunt down a Tone Hammer and check it out :) I've tried some Markbass heads in the past (can't remember which ones, though) but I remember that something was missing for me - either that or I just didn't like the black-yellow colour combination :p

You guys hit a soft spot with the Barefaced cabs, I've been GAS'ing for one for quite some time now :D Extremely rare to spot on the used market here (or in use at all), but perhaps this might be the right time to invest in one. Unless something as nice comes up in a more convenient place of course, as there would be shipping involved.
  18. lostcontrol_

lostcontrol_

Tekdiver500ft: That would indeed be the easiest solution, I think I'll probably have that as a fallback solution.
  19. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

If you like GB go with a Shuttle. Their cabs are pretty nice as well. I've used GB for years.

That said, I am curious about the TH500 and one or two 112 cabs - Aguilar or Berg.
  20. Billy Backbeat

Billy Backbeat

In Finland?
    Speak/read any Swedish?

http://www.tks.se is a small company that makes awesome lightweight cabs. At http://www.pratabas.se he has a big following, I think there is even a couple of threads here on TB.

I really like my TKS cabs. 112 with tweeter, 11 kg. 115, 13 kg. (The 115 is discontinued)