lost bridge screw in g&l jb-2 tribute

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hutzbordello, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Hutzbordello

Hutzbordello

im not sure when, but the screw came out of my bridge which is meant to increase susatin. Is this something i could buy from a hardware store or do i need g&l to send me one?

Ive sent an email to them but have yet to hear back, which is why im posting here. Fwiw they have great customer service.

2. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Take one of the other screws out as a sample of what you need, drive it to your local hardware store, or if you have one nearby, Fastenal.
    Somebody will have a replacement for you.

3. Hutzbordello

Hutzbordello

well the thing is is there is only one of them. It goes through the side of the bridge to increase sustain apparently. So i dont have one to take and comapre or show someone.

All i remember of it was that the head was philips shaped i think.

4. Toptube

Toptube

sounds like its the screw for locking the saddles.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. M.R. Ogle

Disclosures:
    Okay, I just looked at the bottom side of my G&L bridge. It looks like an 8-32 set screw goes in there, probably about 3/8" or so.

(i'm guessing here, as my screw was gone when I checked, too, but I was able to install in an 8-32 1/4" set screw, seemed like a perfect fit, maybe a bit short.)

Somebody with a Tribute G&L can double check this, that would be great. If a 1/4" 8-32 is the correct thing, I'll send ya a few. I have a box of them that I used in my radio control cars.

[​IMG]

7. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

From what I recall there's also a piece if Plastic/Wax or something involved with that screw.

8. Hutzbordello

Hutzbordello

oh wow thanks so much!! I would be very appreciative if you would be able to send a few my way!

Talkbass is such a friendly and informative place :)

9. M.R. Ogle

Disclosures:
    PM me your shipping address.

10. kellyrojo

kellyrojo

I don't think you actually need that screw. I feel like mine has been out for ages with no ill effects fwiw

11. Hutzbordello

Hutzbordello

i agree kellyrojo, the only reason i realized it was missing was it physically not being there. Ie its not a sonic conrerstone of the bass

i would really just feel better about it though!

12. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    FireMelon
    G&L sells replacements. Note the ones used in the Tribute are a different part number than the ones in the US model:

http://www.glguitars.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=39

:bassist:

13. Hutzbordello

Hutzbordello

are you sure those are long enough? They look really short in the picture. They do have the piece of plastic that someone else mentioned though.

14. Wallace320

Wallace320

I once had a 5er that sounded like a dream, Clover Apeiròn HJ5
    yet it suffered from some of its pretendin' "pros"

A fully adjustable, yet Vintage lookin' (for whatever it may mean) himass bridge

It had 5 screws per saddle, functioning for height, width, inclination, vertical and horizontal stabilization

Problem being that ordinary (and I mean completely ordinary) screws were more than able to loose their drilling for the "fully adjustable Vintage himass bridge" was not much more than a (thin) tin piece of smart design...

G&L has a combination of hardware and electronics that stand well over their price tags

So the side screw is just for "memory" sake, but saddles work perfectly without it. And the plastic ring stayin' within G string saddle and lower bridge side has only a retainin' function, preventin' it to get loose too easily...

Cheers,
    Wallace