lots of minds...............contributing

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Icey101, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Icey101

Icey101

is there something philosophical about lots of minds lending advice? is it like a termites nest being steered collectively in some fuzzy logic way?
    Do we steer our lives around advice from places like this? How does it all work?

A man with one watch knows what time it is; a man with two watches is never quite sure. ~Lee Segall

2. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Taking the views or advice from one sorce leads you down a narrow line of thought, the advice from many gives you a broader range from which to decide which is best for you, if you have the capacity to make well reasoned decisions.

Having multiple sources will rarely give you a specific answer, but it does let you mentally calculate an error range. Having a single source gives you a single point of reference, with no way to gather how accurate that single point actually is.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Where there is no counsel, plans fail; but in a multitude of counselors they are established.

-Mike

4. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Studies in confirmation bias tend to contradict this.

Studies have shown that gathering lots of new data, even data that contradicts one's original thesis, only reinforces the original thesis in one's mind. Basically, we form an opinion then spend the rest of our time reinforcing that opinion.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

I dare say it's the difference between genuinely looking for advice or opinion, or just trying to reinforce your own?

7. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

How would one know the difference? :D

8. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

A man with two watches has a constant reminder that one watch might be wrong.

9. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

It'll vary, though I've certainly had a few "I don't have a f-ing clue and need some advice" moments over the years, as well as many "I have an idea of what I want, but need some opinions to reinforce it" (generally on this forum, in the Amp or Basses section :D )

10. knumbskull

knumbskull

it's usually alright until someone mentions Hitler or Darwin and then things tend to go rapidly downhill.

11. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Well, which do you choose?

12. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

about the same

13. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Lots of minds contributing is great. More so if the person looking for a solution or answer is able to determine what best works for him or her in that particular situation.
    A great example is the Internet, itself. Many minds contribute to the content of the Internet, which is as close as one can come to a tangible form of the collective [un]conscious.

14. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

I think your describing wiki sites.

15. sneha1965

sneha1965 Supporting Member

I recognize that and you're a wise man for knowing. ;)

16. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    Crowd sourcing?

If you're looking for a greater perception of reality than your own limited eyes (or PCP) can offer, having a larger data set is going to be advantageous. However, it'll involve sorting through more trash to reach the treasure.

17. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

This is true, however, without comparison, a single source could be trash and you don't even realise it!

18. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

Like the guy who told me to short circuit a wire to find its breaker. No thanks - there's a tool for that.

19. Simo98

Simo98

Depends on your desired outcome. To bring one mans vision to fulfillment as he intended, or to alter and "Impove" it to appeal to everybody. There is often a healthy balance between the two, however on a whole I find that things developed towards a single and focused vision are often superior to those that are compromised on.

Take media for example, one band can make their music the way they want, or one director can make his film exactly how he sees fit. To the people it appeals to, it will be a masterpiece, to many others it'll have no appeal what so ever. But a band or director that makes compromises with others in order to keep everybody happy will often end up with a more generic and generally appealing end result, but lose the true potential of the media imo.

20. Sonic_Death

Sonic_Death

Beware groupthink. I do find the whole idea of a collective consciousness very interesting though.

I like to analogize accepting advice as akin to reading user reviews when shopping for something. You kind of know what you want, and you either want someone to reinforce your beliefs, or to talk you out of something. Odds are you know which way you're leaning before even entertain information from another.

21. Musiclogic

Musiclogic

Disclosures:
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Group think, sheep logic. This is why Trends and Fads exist, why a majority of ppeople wear the same labels, read the same rags, and follow the same "cool" new thing.

A man with an imagination, is free to explore beyond what science presents as fact.

Albert Einstein