LOUD acoustic basses that can compete with acoustic guitars?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BrandenSteele, Nov 27, 2012.

1. BrandenSteele

BrandenSteele

I am looking for an acoustic bass guitar that I can play with my acoustic guitar friends. I have done a lot of looking, and they're all quiet and pretty crappy. I did however find one that was mahogany and louder than most of the guitars in that shop, but it was purchased the next day.

Does anyone have experience with acoustic basses that can share some experiences? I'm pretty curiouus, since I have only seen about 6 and know of no one who owns one.
  2. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

It's not gonna happen. The ABG will be audible, but any guitar will overpower it.
  3. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Ain't none.
  4. David Jayne

David Jayne

Guitarron is the only way to go if you won't use an amp.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ggvicviper

ggvicviper P is the Key. Call me Marc or Marky Potatoes. Gold Supporting Member

The loudest sounding ones I heard were the Dean EABC (which I owned) and the Tacoma Thunderchief. Don't think either will quite do you good.

This is why I bought a Roland Micro Cube Bass amp. It's runs on battery (or AC), is small, loud, and models a bunch of different amps. Pretty light for an amp, just plug and play anywhere with your bass.
  7. leemelone

leemelone

Even though I primarily play with my fingers, I found that using a pick on an AB significantly increases the volume. :bassist:
  8. spade2you

spade2you

Upright bass.
  9. Gorn Captain

That Dean EABC was my first bass. It's huge, thus louder than most ABGs. It was just too big for me to be comfortable, and I'm a fairly large guy.
  10. ggvicviper

Yeah, but it still wasn't loud enough, I feel.
    You're in Queens? I wanted to get mine back in 2009 from Guitar Center LIC or Brooklyn, but neither had the 5-String model. I ended up ordering it from Musicians Friend.
  11. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

12. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Get a small battery powered amp. There isn't a ABG that can compete with a acoustic guitar.
  13. Gorn Captain

I've never seen a 5er in a store. GC's ABG selection is very limited. Generally they have two Ibanez's (the $200 and $400) ones, the Dean EABC, the Fender Kingman, and a Takamine.
  14. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

I gave up on ABG's. Most sound like crap and need an amp to compete anyhow with a guitar or even quiet band so I just use my P bass and a small amp =perfect.
  15. velalv

velalv

The Mahogony one was most likely the Martin BC15e. Did it look like this one in the link? http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/BC15E.htm

If so, you are out of luck. They are out of produciton. Only 1200 were made. It will be enough to keep up with one guitar if you are attacking it hard, but probably no more.
  16. funkytoe

funkytoe Supporting Member

[​IMG]

+1. Guitarron is the only "acoustic bass" type instrument smaller than a traditional upright that is loud enough to jam with acoustic guitars without amplification. I've owned and played a lot of ABG. The Guild B-50 and Ernie Ball Earthwood basses were louder than the rest, but still not really capable of filling out the bass in an acoustic jam with multiple guitars. And both are WAY overpriced now on the used market.
    Guitarron is the way to go.
  17. ggvicviper

I've been to a few in the area that would once in a while stock the 5er Ibanez, and back in the day, a Michael Kelly.

Michael Kelly basses, by the way, were THE most overhyped acoustic basses I ever played. Sounded like a toy. Only one I thought was any better was the Club, and I wasn't super sold on that either.
  18. Gorn Captain

^^
    This

A resonator bass might be louder.
  19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    No such thing if you're talking about acoustic bass guitars. An upright bass is the size you need to produce the requisite volume, and it could compete.
  20. pgolliher

pgolliher

I have found the same. The Thunderchief is the loudest I have played- I own the Dean and it is better than most, but you will still have a hard time being heard. The micro cube or another battery powered amp along with the acoustic would be a good option for mobile jams.
  21. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging! Supporting Member

I use a sound hole plug (to mitigate feedback) and a small amplifier.

Acoustically? Forget it.