LOUD fails: Ampeg PF-500 failure stories, tell them here

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by f.c.geil, Jan 26, 2012.

1. f.c.geil

f.c.geil I'm your huckleberry... Supporting Member

Media:
    I have an Ampeg PF-500 that cuts out - I know, don't they all? Anyway, I brought it into an Ampeg authorized service center on December 9th. Yes, you read that right, they've had it for over seven weeks! LOUD have been jerking the service center around this whole time, giving them different tests to try, but only allowing them to use a sine wave generator, not an actual bass. Doing this, they cannot get the amp to fail - hmm, set the parameters of the test to guarantee a pass, then wonder that there is no fail...

So, LOUD are continuing to insist that there is no problem with my amp, and that there is no issue with these amps. According to LOUD, nobody has ever had a PF-500 fail!

So, please tell your stories here, including how it got resolved.

Thanks!

2. christw

christw Get low!

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    I'm not here to bash the PF-500 even though I had a used one die by unrelated issue. I bought another one and loved it since. I did make the new amp cut out but it sure seemed like a safety shutdown to me. It was stupid loud beforehand (past SVT volumes) and only shutdown when the bass started feeding back at a rather painful volume. As soon as I muted the strings, it came back and was ready to keep playing.

The following is just conjecture: I think it may have a signal-based mute/limiter beyond the master volume. If that's the case, that could explain why an open master volume, not enough comp, and gain to taste would cause premature shut offs with signal spikes. Out of value components in such a circuit could also be causing premature muting/limiting.

3. oldmanp03

oldmanp03

The people that I have seen who have had a problem with the PF-500 have had no issue with getting LOUD to replace them. Sounds like you should have dealt with them first under warranty and they would have replaced it.

4. username1

username1 Supporting Member

I had a PF350 go up in smoke after just a couple hours use but they sent me a new unit that works great. In the meantime I got a pf500 and have been using it constantly for the past few months with no problems what so ever. I was leary after hearing about the cut out issues but it hasnt happend to mine yet. I had problems with a svt years back and Loud gave me superb customer service. I got my PF 500 because i know i can always count on them for superb customer service.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jumbodbassman

jumbodbassman Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Born Again Tubey
    First gig, third song. not very loud. just returnd it to Guitar center as it was within the 30 days. ficinished the gig with a GK backline 600 in about 10;30 so it was not my volume. replaced with a SVT 7 (which had cutting out issues when they first released them but has been fixed in the next to releases of that amp). my new one is release 3 (c) .
    there is something wrong with my guess about 5-10% of the units, seems only the 500.

7. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Not to turn this into a total bash, but, "don't use a bass"?, so you can't duplicate the failure?.....really?......

8. f.c.geil

Media:
    I did contact LOUD immediately. They're the ones who send me to On Stage Visuals in Lansing (who have been very helpful, and are just as frustrated as I am). LOUD still denies that anyone has had an issue...

9. f.c.geil

Media:
    Yeah, that's what I thought. A bass will input a completely different signal than a sine wave generator.

10. HugoM

HugoM

Do yourself a favor -- sweetly and politely, and with a big smile, ask the service center to return you the amp. Once you have the amp, contact LOUD to find out what steps you must take to have LOUD itself do the warranty service (RMA numbers? Receipt copies? Ship-to address?).

Experience taught me to avoid "authorized service centers." 'nuff said.

11. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    FireMelon
    I get the impression they don't get paid a whole lot for warranty work and it ends up being more trouble for them then it's worth. You're probaby right it's better to go right to Ampeg with something like this.

12. Dymond-

Dymond-

Wouldn't any amp cut out if pushed too far?

13. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    These cut out when they're not pushed too far, more often than just being a couple bad units.

14. ddbassGA

ddbassGA Supporting Member

It would be most helpful if only those who have with direct, first hand experience reply.

15. OSV Repair Tech

OSV Repair Tech

I will have the amp in the studio shortly for the first round of real world testing. I would like to get some input from those that experienced failure about their amp settings, style of music played, bass used and your personal playing style. This will allow me to best replicate the situation that caused failure. Your effort will save me having to dig through multiple pages looking for this info. PMs are probably best so we don't muck up this thread with additional posts.

Thanks for your help.

Steve

16. f.c.geil

Media:
    Just to be clear, Steve (OSV Repair Tech) has been really friendly and helpful throughout, so no negativity from me is directed at him. I'm frustrated with LOUD and the amp, not OSV.

17. f.c.geil

Media:
    Mine has even failed sitting idle. Please add your experiences so On Stage and/or LOUD can get a handle on the issue.

18. OSV Repair Tech

OSV Repair Tech

...which is exactly what it did tonight. It's going on the bench tomorrow for evaluation and we'll have a decision by end of the day.

19. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

Suggestion for testing, run the unit on an AC circuit by itself with no other devices. Unless the "New" LOUD Tech is really considering these amps to be trouble free, then never mind I'm out. ;)

20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Tek, I don't mean this to minimize what you're saying by any means, and I can't pretend to know anything about your situation, but they really do their best to be stellar with CS at Ampeg. Most reports about their CS on here are very positive and most folks with problematic amps have been getting working replacements under warranty from what I can see. I would suggest calling them again if you haven't talked to them since you took the amp in.

21. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are.

It's your amp. Give them permission to use a bass to test it.

Better yet, take your bass to the warranty shop (along with your cab if need be), ask them to bring your amp out so you can show them the problem.