1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

loud hum issue

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by mattbass6945, Jan 23, 2014.

1. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

i apologize if this has been covered numerous times. i have a history of not being able to use the talkbass search function effectively.

my amp seems to have a loud hum that goes away only when i hit the mute button on the amp. since it doesn't happen anywhere else, i believe it to be the outlet i'm plugged into at practice.

is there anyway to put something between the plug and outlet to eliminate this? i always assumed electricity was delivered by magical fairies and it scares me. i am no electrician, please use laymen's terms!:smug:

mods, please move this if it is in the wrong forum.
  2. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Applications Engineer, QSC Audio
    Is the hum there when your bass isn't plugged in to the amp?
  3. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

i haven't checked that, but nothing changes when i touch the bridge or strings, or mute from volume pedal or tuner.
  4. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

What make and model is the amp?

Are the nuts tight on your input jacks? You want tight nuts to ensure a good contact.

Plug your instrument cable into the amp and touch the tip of other end of the cable. Is this the sort of hum that you are hearing?

If no, is the hum 60Hz or 120Hz? Compare it to a reference tone of these frequencies that you can find on the internet.
  5. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

it is a genz gbe 600. all nuts/jacks are tight. we practice at our singer's shop. he's a mechanic and it's an old building, so since it is only noticeable there, i assumed it was the power source (plug). does this sound reasonable or remotely accurate? i know there's probably other things to check first, but i won't be back at practice until monday. may have to take a little checklist with me and diagnose then!
  6. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

Yes it can be the location. The additional info helps. Since it only happens at the garage, it sounds like there is an external source of noise at the garage that is getting into the input of the amp. Fluorescent lighting, a light dimmer, a motor or fridge, bad electrical wiring, a bad transformer out in the street, a cell phone too close to the amp, and a long list of other things can cause this.

Why it is only your amp is the question. First try a different instrument cable. Then try moving the amp and if possible, put it on a different electrical circuit.
  7. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

i don't know for certain it's only my amp. i just think i'm the one who is most particular about that sort of thing. i wouldn't doubt if lighting were the problem. there's an 8,000 sq ft shop with fluorescent lights. if moving it to a different location/outlet doesn't help, is there anything (product) i can put between the amp and outlet to eliminate the issue?

thanks for the help thus far. i appreciate your time!
  8. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Get one of these, to test the outlets-

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3099752&KPID=4729837&pla=pla_4729837

Don't spend that much- they can be found for a lot less, but get one that looks like it. If you get the one with a button on top, you'll be able to test GFCI outlets, too.

Old buildings, especially when they're industrial, are notorious for electrical problems. Measure the line voltage, too- if the fuse/breaker panel has problems, e.g., loose screws on the terminals inside, the voltage can be wrong- if the neutral lifts, you'll launch anything designed for 120VAC that's powered up. If you find wiring problems with that tested, just plugging something between the amp and outlet won't help- it needs to be repaired properly.
  9. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

awesome.

i have to assume that the audible hum is a warning that there is an issue. is it safe to continue running my amp on a faulty plug? any long term effects? i understand that this is a vague question seeing as how we haven't actually determined the issue at hand, but it does make me curious.
  10. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Fluorescent lights can cause havoc with less than well shielded bass electrics. If you unplug the input cable you can narrow it all down by half.
  11. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

With any complex problem you have to break it down and look at one thing at a time to determine what the issue is. Start with the easy things first, one at a time, and see what happens.

Try a different instrument cable. If that doesn't resolve the issue, kill all the lights. Next try plugging the amp into a different circuit (on a different circuit breaker).

If the wiring is faulty, drawing a lot of current by the band instruments could cause a fire. If there is a wiring issue, an electrician will need to look at it to resolve it. If you have an AM radio that can be manually tuned between stations, it can be sometimes used to detect issues with the wiring. Walk around with the radio and hold it near 120VAC wiring runs, junction boxes, panels, etc and see if you get a lot of noise at a particular location. This noise could be getting picked up by your amp. The radio detector can help determine where the problem is.

If the problem is caused by fluorescent lighting, there could be a bad ballast that needs replacing. The noise could simply be coming from the lighting. Not much that you can do.

Will the noise hurt the amp? Probably not. Without looking at it in person, it is hard to be sure.
  12. agedhorse

agedhorse Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Supporting Member

If the noise goes away with the mute switch, it should also go away when the master volume control turned down.

Unplug the instrument cable from the bass, if the noise goes away, it's entering through the bass electronics or an unshielded cable.
  13. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

very cool. i'll try the basics first at next practice. couldn't hurt to pick up one of those gfci testers either, they look cheap and simple enough to use. thanks guys!
  14. agedhorse

agedhorse Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Supporting Member

A true gfci tester is only useful for testing gfci protected receptacles. A standard receptacle tester is going to be a better tool for testing hour power source.
  15. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

good to know! this is all so foreign to me, much appreciated!
  16. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

I have outlet testers that I bought from Home Depot that can test both regular and GFI outlets. A handy tool, especially given the cost.

I never plug an amp in without first testing the outlet and measuring the line voltage with a voltmeter.
  17. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

for someone who really can't afford to be replacing amps at the moment, this sems like a good tool to have around. i'll look into it. thanks again, guys!