1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Loud POP when engaging a pedal.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by aguacateojos, Dec 6, 2013.

1. aguacateojos

aguacateojos Supporting Member

I've done a bit of reading on this subject but haven't found much in the way of answers so I come to you, Talkbass:

I purchased an Iron Ether Xerograph Deluxe from the classifieds a few months ago. A switch broke in transit so I sent it to Taylor at IE and it was fixed. I didn't really test it out until this week because all of my gigs have been on upright but there is now a very loud POP when hitting the foot switch.

I've found conflicting accounts of causes and solutions for this problem on Google and TB. Taylor said it was best to replace the entire switch but I don't have experience with that type of work and it looks like IE isn't taking on new projects now.

So, anyone ever find themselves in this situation? Suggestions, other than muting my amp each time I use the switch?

2. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

If it is a true bypass switch tie a 2M to 10M resistor between the hot and ground at the input. Try a 5M first ...

3. Marial

Marial Three Weeks of Freedom Start Right NOW Gold Supporting Member

This happens with my IE Nimbus, but only the first time I engage it. After that it's fine.

4. noahw1

noahw1 Supporting Member

I had the same issue with my Joyo Ultimate Drive last night. I've had it about three weeks and this was the first time it did it. Any help along these lines would be great.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

7. DagoMaino

DagoMaino Supporting Member

+1

8. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Why wouldn't they do something this simple at the factory?

9. deathsdj

deathsdj

I have had that happen on occasion, came to find out it was static electricity.

10. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are.

I suggest you shoot a PM to JohnK_10.

11. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

Some manufacturers do, and it depends on what you have in your chain. It is caused by the DC offset. My 2 effect looper on my pedal board worked fine until I reconfigured my chain to work with rack's my send and return. So I modified it. My Turbo tuner was doing the same.

I apologise if you are insulted or any of your favourite manufacturers have been slighted by this modification. Why I bother to post here anymore Richard Dawkins only knows.

Read this and get on the evolutionary chain.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/archive/index.php/t-252527.html

12. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Settle down now, it was a fair question if read at face value. The answer is "it costs a wee bit more in labor, and can easily be skipped over, since all customers demand is true bypass".

13. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

Actually it is the nature of the beast for this sort of switching circuitry. You can also discharge DC build up by muting the audio in the system, and engaging/disengaging the switch a few times, I.e. Stomping on/off and it will clear. If you power off and on again, e.g. Between sets - you'd have to repeat the process.

14. aguacateojos

aguacateojos Supporting Member

Turning it on / off multiple times does nothing to stop the noise.

Last night I had my first electric rehearsal in a month. While using electrical contact cleaner on a fuzzy pot in my amp I wondered... what if. Tried it on the pedal and the POP is now a small click. Much less harsh on the ears.

New problem? Now that I'm able to turn it on and off I've realized that there there is a second-long pause when turning it off before sound returns.

15. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

According to the manufacturer Iron Ether's website your effect uses a relay instead of a more common 3PDT switch; this is technically superior and does not have the inherent dc offset issue which is part and parcel of the 3PDT types -viz. nature of the beast- your relay is probably defective if it is making a pop, as it is not supposed to.

16. Marial

Marial Three Weeks of Freedom Start Right NOW Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, my Nimbus appears to have failed now. I'm now getting distant static when it's engaged (bypass works fine and sounds completely normal) that comes in and out. Big bummer as my Polytope just arrived today and I was really looking forward to using them in conjunction.

17. Vlad5

Vlad5 Chronic Knob Twiddling Tone Chaser Supporting Member

Sounds like something wonky with the switch...

18. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston

Disclosures:
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    Hi folks, my name is Jet, I work with Taylor and am logging in with his account while he's on medical leave.

While it's true that we are not taking new orders right now, we will always take care of repair issues as long as we're around, so please contact us at info@ironether.com and we will sort you out.

I do know that the pedal in question in the first post is the very first custom Xerograph from years ago, before the move to relay switching. IE has always used pulldown resistors on bypass switches, so that is not the problem - those 3PDT switches just aren't very good for the purpose which is why Taylor switched to relay switching even though it's more expensive.

19. MCS4

MCS4 Supporting Member

My IE Polytope usually gives a very loud pop when first engaged, even after a trip back to IE for repairs. Same with one of my other true bypass pedals. It seems like sometimes this is not a fixable issue or may have more to do with other aspects of the signal chain.

Generally I try to remember to kick all of my true bypass pedals on and off a couple of times before a gig or practice, to reduce the possibility of the pop happening mid-song.

20. negativefx

negativefx complete hack Gold Supporting Member

My super duper 2in1 was doing this. I replaced the 3pdt and all was well.

21. rsmith601

rsmith601 Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    President, Source Audio
    Any pedal which is really truly "True Bypass" is going to pop at times. Putting a large resistor to ground means that a pedal can no longer be called "True Bypass". True means true, right? Also, if you have 20 pedals on your board and they all have the same modification (1 meg resistors to ground), then you might get real (or imagined) tone suck!

Relay-based true bypass is likely going to do better than the big switches with pops, because all of the connections are much shorter.

I can't see how us pedal guys can insert these resistors and call our pedals "true bypass".

The best solution is what we copied from TC: selectable true or high quality buffered bypass. Buffered bypass is much less likely to pop.....and.....it is nice high impedance.