Loudest Bass Rig That You Have Heard or Know of.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by MRDOOM, Jan 4, 2012.

1. MRDOOM

MRDOOM

What is the absolute loudest Bass Rig that you have either heard in person or know of as having a reputation for loudness? I'm not concerned about tone, price or practicality, just overall volume. The only parameter is that it be a stand alone bass rig, not concert sound system like the Dead's wall of sound.

2. s_mcsleazy

s_mcsleazy

al cisneros pops straight to mind

Mikaelbass likes this.
  3. mogpipe

mogpipe

I use a Hartke VX3500 combo amp, and it is loud!!!!! The windows start rattling when the volume is set on '2'!!!

4. JoeVictim

JoeVictim

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JoeVictim

JoeVictim

+1 to that

7. s_mcsleazy

s_mcsleazy

and he sounds great

8. Largedon

Largedon

I've never seen it personally but supposedly Phil Jones has a bass rig of doom. A few people I've played with rehearsed with him for some demo stuff and apparently that thing is large and in charge.

9. MRDOOM

MRDOOM

I think this one is kind of obligatory.
    [​IMG]

10. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBASS - PlayBASS! Supporting Member

Probably the loudest I have heard in person was Greg Ridley's four Acoustic 360/361 amps when I saw Humble Pie in 1971, Entwistle's (in 1983, but what I most likely really heard was through the PA) would be second.

11. smogg

smogg

Johnny from Staind, his Ampeg touring rig.

12. Aussie Player

Aussie Player

My loudest rig consisted of 2x HA 5500's + 1x HA3500 for 1350 Watts into 2 x 15 VX's and 1 x 8x10XL cab for 1800W of speakers.

13. DogBone

DogBone

600 watt tube head, 36 10" speakers, it was reported to be pretty loud. :bag:

[​IMG]

14. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist and MI Professional... see profile
    Loudest rig I've ever seen live was at Northern Lights and it was some Swedish Death Metal band who's name I never rightly recalled. I could see his racks full of stuff...The guy was using a really fancy looking Custom 6 with a Buckeye or Chestnut top into What looked like a Switcher, into (alternatively I presume) and Eden Navigator & Sansamp RBI, Which fed two QSC KX158's and two QSC K18 Subs. 4,000 watts, two 18"s, two 15"s, two 12" and 2 Tweets. It was the most massive thing I have ever heard.

That being said.... Lamb of God had eight Mesa Boogies 810's and 8 Bass 400+ heads onstage last time I saw them.... however, only two of each were actually plugged in. :-\

15. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

In the 1975~1984 period I had an SVT with 2 8x10's and an Acoustic 370 with a 301 cabinet(full-size folded 18) and a Cerwin-Vega 18(half earthquake size). One 8x10 and one 18 side-by-side on each side of the stage. One night we played a club on the westbank of New Orleans and our manager told me on break:
    "What the <Expletive deleted> !!! I can hear you half a mile away".
    [​IMG]
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    My side of the stage........note the EQ on the 370 as it was set for LOW END and the SVT for low-mids on up.
    How long ago?
    NADY had just come out with their "BLUE" wireless units for "normal" folks with over a grand to spend.....

16. seamonkey

seamonkey

17. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    my Acoustic 320/408 and 370/408 (with 4 K140's) for a total of eight 15's is pretty dang loud. it shakes my concrete driveway when i play it outside.

18. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    The loudest rig I ever heard was a BagEnd 410 co-ax cab on their 18 cab running their ELF system.
    It was scary how loud, clean and LOW it would/can go.

I guess Melvin Davis had a smaller (210/15) version of the rig out on tour and was told to turn down in 15-20,000 seat rooms because it was soo efficient and loud.

19. chadds

chadds

It wasn't that can't understand anything I'm hearing volume. But.....
    I did stand right next to, 4ft. away from, Felix Pappalardi of Mountain. His rig was that three Sunn 200s with actually a PA head as center control and two 200s heads all modded with six 200s cabs.
    Felix EBO in hand tore into this cranked distorted rig. OMG!!!
    Best thing was I was there two nights in a row.

If you include me, an Acoustic 360 in an old church chapel at St. Albans, DC. Each of our bands always played this spot. One night we find out they booked no one. In ten minutes we joined out two bands called the combination Silver Wing and tore the place a new &$$ hole. Drowned out the other bassist, two drummers and two guitarists with Marshall stacks. How? Turn that thing up to 8. I know now why some people said you couldnt hear the 360 on stage and you were crushing skulls in the back. Turn it up to 8 and you could hear it onstage......and mess up brain cells of the teen bots in the back.:/

20. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    Lemmy from Motörhead is really loud live. That trebly RIC through his Marshalls gave me a headache for 2 days after seeing him.

Personally, my Mesa M9 through a back line Ampeg 8x10 was pretty friggin loud!

21. Clammy

Clammy

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Neal Moser Guitars, DR Strings
    Yeah, for sure the LOUDEST bass rig I've ever personally experienced is Lemmy's 2 full Marshall stacks cranked and about 20 feet away from my head!

Cheers!
    :bassist::bassist::bassist: