1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Love/Hate Compressore… suggestions?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by atracksler, Oct 30, 2013.

1. atracksler

atracksler Supporting Member

I recently got a markbass compressore. It sounds great. I really like the way it sustains.

I hate the power supply. I either have to have a kludgy system of extension cords, or buy an expensive power supply.

I don't have a ton of pedals

Just a tuner, the compressor, a EHX Cathedral and the Tone Hammer (which is phantom powered)

So Im looking for some suggestions which will give me the extra huge sustain that the compressor is giving me, and isn't a weirdo power supply…

Thanks in advance. ad

2. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

3. atracksler

Called Godlyke and the power all doesn't have enough juice… would have been an awesome solution...

4. father of fires

father of fires Supporting Member

I have no awesome solution but I run 3 pedals. 2 at 9v and 1 at 12V AC. It's clunky but I bundle up the power supplies with tape and tape them to the pedal board with the outlet part hanging off then board. Then I connect them with a cheap extension cord. I wish I had a better solution but this is what I've been using.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story Supporting Member

Swap for an FEA Opti-FET, Empress Comp, or MXR M87.

7. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Build/buy a pedal board, and install a standard surge supressor/power strip.

I've had several issues along those lines in the past.

Here's an old version of my board. I used a one-spot for everything but the BMS, which had its own power supply:

[​IMG]

Then, I ran a standard extension cord to the wall for power.

rtav likes this.
  8. atracksler

9. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

10. DJJazzV

DJJazzV That's impossible! They're on instruments. Supporting Member

I only use 3 pedals, one of them is the Compressore, and the Gator powered pedal board left in it's carry bag works very well for it. Got a 3 outlet extension cord, and everything tucks underneath the board and stays in the bag.

11. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

These are pretty handy too, and maybe a little more compact.
    Between the computer stuff and the musical stuff, I've got a few of these:

http://www.cyberguys.com/product-details/?productid=4189&rH=1214

Cyberguys have a bunch of power-management widgets for maximizing small spaces. I have no affiliation, just a happy customer for a lot of years.

12. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    +1

Another option, if you have a friend that builds pedals or any other sort of circuit, would be to have them make a pair of little voltage dividers to drop 12V down to 9V, and put them into two of the "legs" of a daisy chain cable. Use the Markbass's stock wall wart, power the MB off a "normal" outlet of the daisy chain, and power your 9V pedals off the modified outlets.

13. atracksler

DO any of those 3 options give that kind of endless full sustain of the compressore?

14. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yes, but they each have a bit different action/feel from each other. So yes definitely the same amount of sustain, but they won't sound exactly the same.

15. atracksler

The Y extension cord is solving the issue for now….

16. Robus

Robus Supporting Member

Wish I could find an Opti-FET.