1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Love my bass, hate the look...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by IGotGas, Jul 23, 2013.

1. IGotGas

IGotGas Cajun Rocker Gold Supporting Member

As a few of you know, I own a library of Basses. However, one brand I play quite a bit in studio, and more importantly (relative to this thread) live.

I have one problem. Though the finished from the factory are of good quality, they just don't have they eye appeal that, say, my Alembics or Brubakers have. And ya, they don't cost nearly as much.

So here's what I'm wondering; can a fancy top be added to a finished bass? Sure I know it'd be a year down and sanding and and and...

The key is I love THIS model of bass. Just want to make them prettier via an exotic wood top.

Facts:

The basses I'm speaking of are Lightwave Hybrid basses.

Yes, I can afford a total custom build. I have several (though not Lightwaves). Frankly, due to some upcoming work, it's more of a time issue here.

Cost is not an issue. I know many folks say that, but when it comes time for check writing things change. Not here. I'm not foolish with what I'll spend, but I WILL spend to get what I want. Just ask my wife.

I DO know that paint is an option, but I'm trying to find out if a Poplar Burl top or something similar is an option here. Or not.

Thanks for any help!!
  2. octaedro7

octaedro7

A veneer top applied through a vacuum press can fit you bill. I'm sure that savvyer builders are going to chime in, but I'm pretty sure that this is the more efficient way to achieve your requirements
  3. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

Are the lightwave basses bolt on or neck through? what Kind of carving is done on the top? Pictures will be helpful to get a better idea as to what you are trying to do.
  4. IGotGas

It's bolt on with plank flat with very slightly radiused edges. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1374591713.159546.jpg

The one if want to modify first is a 5 string...just don't have a pic of it. Then I'd want to do this 4 banger.
  5. noiseguy

noiseguy

Yes. There's a guy here in S. FL that does exactly what you're talking about to bodies... veneers and insets. Assume you can find someone locally...
  6. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

I would send it through my drum sander untill I took off about 1/4 inch. Then put on a solid top instead of trying to mess with a veneer.
  7. Big B.

Big B.

Yup. Better look, nice clean transition between top and body and the beauty of watching the grain turn around the rounded edges. Adding a layer of veneer is a quick fix in my mind and isn't the optimal method.
  8. joseplluissans

joseplluissans

The risky part is to see what'll come out under the paint job. Might not be pretty. I assume you'll want the back side natural too?
  9. millsbass5

millsbass5

What about getting another body carved up with the woods you want? It seems that'd be a way to avoid the all the hassles of getting it done, and, DONE RIGHT.
  10. Snort

Snort

I agree with Hopkins on this one, I have been toying with the same idea on a 1980s (paid 15 quid for it) era cheap guitar to practice on that has been sitting unused for 15 years. I would consider planing 1/4 off the top and off the back, depending on the depth of tummy cuts, and sandwiching the original body in between 2x 1/4" slabs of walnut or Burl wood with a high figure and natural finish. I might put a veneer in between the top and bottom to provide a contrast line to the transition. Then a pleasing round over and high gloss finish to complete the look. One great benefit of doing it this way is that you have a built in template for routing neck pockets and pick up routs. It would require the sides taking back to natural wood though.:hyper:
  11. zenman

zenman

Here's your answer.
  12. IGotGas

Yes I believe you're correct!

Thanks to each of you for your ideas in input!!