"Loves gonna live here" Buck Owens

Discussion in 'Tablature [BG]' started by phoenixjmw, Oct 7, 2013.

1. phoenixjmw

phoenixjmw

Ok don't laugh... lol

This song is turning out to be my nemesis for some reason. I also cannot seem to find anything on the net for tabs or online lessons. Just cannot get the walks right in this one.

The player Doyle Holly is aparently a bit of a Nashville legend in his own right.

Anyone able to help with this one?

2. phoenixjmw

phoenixjmw

:mad:

I know there are some Doyle Holly fans on here... lol

3. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Supporting Member

Nothing fancy in that verse bass line at all. It's all 1, 4, or 5 ... with the normal walk-up/downs ... ie,

when going from 1 to 4 walk up on 2 and 3 or down from 8,b7,6,5
    when going from 1 to 5 walk up on 2, 3, and 4 or down on 8,7,6
    when going from 5 to 1 walk down 4,3,2 or up 5, 6, 7
    when going from 4 to 1 walk down 3,2

In the chorus and instrumental you can walk the bass 1-3-5-3 in their appropriate keys, tossing in those walks above for the transitions.

This is the basis (bassis? grin!) of most country music bass lines.

4. phoenixjmw

phoenixjmw

Thanks Rusty! Yeah, it should not be as difficult for me as it is. Not sure what is throwing me off. Just seems like the walks have a different timing than usual or something. I'l take a look at this tonight. Thanks again.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. phoenixjmw

phoenixjmw

Hey thanks again Rusty! As silly as it sounds the problem was two-fold and not even related to the walks (although I needed to know it was as simple as you put it).

Seems I have been listening to a studio version where he does a little stutter triplet thing on the 1 chord that isnt on the other versions. The big lesson learned is how different something sounds in a different neck position. I basically wrote out what you provided (which was what I had been trying before) to fit the notes around the 5-9th fretts which is where I saw him playing in a video. I had been trying to play it in first position.

Basically it all came together pretty instantly at that point. That simple of a song should not have been that hard for me at this point but like I said - valuable lessons learned.

7. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Supporting Member

I'll bet this is the version ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8Yyxe20zGw ... it's not a triplet, just a little bounce on the same (first) note in the walk up/down. An unnecessary flourish (IMO) with a drummer, although I do use that sometimes when I'm playing without a drummer just to add a little rhythm.

8. phoenixjmw

phoenixjmw

Yep, that is the version. However the version I have is on a greatest hits country CD. Same version but the bass is much more in the mix and really drives the song on my CD.

Fun song to play. Strange thing is, this song is a reason why I think I was "meant" to play bass after playing guitar for years. I see what people mean by a guitar player playing bass like a guitar player. However, it seems like the bassline to this song is always in my head when I am playing and I am somehow always trying to play that way.

The irony is I grew up mostly a classic rock/metal head. Now I want to play country bass and refuse to play metal or a guitar stlye on bass.