Loving the bass the second time round

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Maxdusty, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

Thought I'd give this bass, an Ibanez Ergodyne 900 a second chance. I had a 5 string version (the 905) not too long ago, but wasn't too happy with the floppy B string - overall not too impressed by it.
    Skip ahead a couple of years and I saw the four string version at a price that was worth taking a chance on, intended to flip it.
    Wouldn't you know it, the four string was incredible to play. It has the slim neck of the SR300, but with a wider sound capability and best of all, no chemical smell to it! The bass did not reduce to a pile of sawdust as some have predicted, it was solid sounding polyp shaped bass!
    Going to keep it and buying another one as they're no longer being made. At the price point, I'd take it over a SR300/SR400 anyday.

That story being said, what bass do you have that took a second look to fall in love with?

Attached Files:

2. garp

garp

The Fender Precision.

Had one many years ago, but switched over to Jazzes, found my comfort zone, and got rid of the Precision. Had a change of heart about two years ago when I tried an MIM ‘50s Classic P in a local store, and realized that all the things I thought I disliked about the Precision had somehow disappeared. It’s now part of my herd.

Interesting that you should mention the EDA series. Not long after the 905 first debuted, I tried one out. I loved everything about it — except the styling. Couldn’t get past the look. Ended up going with the more conservative EDB605, which is still in my herd.
  3. Maxdusty

Yes, the EDA basses look like a polyp to me, but I love the sound I can get out of it with the piezo pickup. I have it a quarter of the volume on it and full on the soapbar bickup. It has a bite to the sound I can't quite replicate with any other bass. So, I can probably live with the styling but just in case, I just ordered an EDB600 from GC for $124 (I did have one before and was actually a little remorseful about selling it). Prices on these Ergodyne basses have been going down quite a bit- I don't think I would have bought them at full price back then, but at the current used prices, they're a great bargain.

I'm currently set to "off" on the P-bass, but give me a month, I'll probably be GASSing for one.
  4. garp

garp

Deal of the week! Congrats.

I’m tempted to grab an EDC705 one of these days.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Maxdusty

I just got my EDB600 today after a slight delay with UPS and for $124.99, I am just floored. The bass was in great condition, had a small half inch scratch on the side if you looked hard enough, it needed a new 9 volt battery (wow, they've gone up in price these days!) and a tweak of the truss rod. Other than that, it was well worth the price. I was playing it earlier today and have to say, I'm so glad I bought this bass. No more smell either- so I guess the time to buy these basses are right about now as the petroleum smell they were known for seems to dissipate after 15 years or so. If the smell put you off back when the basses first came out, then you'd be happy to know it's now finally gone.
    Prices of the Ergodyne basses are all over the board, you can find them cheaply if you happen to look at the right time, I missed out on a nice red EDC700 not too long ago, it was going for I believe under $200 but was snatched up the very same day I tried to purchase it over the phone.
    There are two Ergodyne EDC705s currently available at GC online- one is for over $400, the other for $299. There is no uniform standard in pricing used instruments at GC I feel as I've gotten basses in excellent condition for hundreds less than another selling at a different GC.
    Here's a link to the $299 one. Very nice color too.
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-IBANEZ-ERGODYNE-EDC-705--620-109780517-i3585774.gc

Attached is my EDB600 I bought for $124.99. Super happy with it.
  7. Stephensa

Stephensa

I don't know if my post here is right. Mods move or delete it if isn't ok. SO...for me, loving the bass the second time around is me loving/learning to play all over again. I played bass in the 80s into the early 90s. Metal mostly, melodic stuff, not a lot of cash we mostly got drinks and girls....mostly) anyhoo, I had an accident in 95 that broke my left arm and shattered my left wrist. I was lucky and while without insurance I had been driven to LSUS Hospital which was a teaching hospital in Shreveport, LA. Anyhoo, they considered amputating the hand but since they had teaching money and a unique opportunity they pieced my wrist back together. Woo Hoo! The down side was they took bones from my hip to do it and my wrist is fused. EH, better than losing a hand. SO....I could not do much with my left hand. I had severe nerve damage on top of the fused wrist. I sold my rig to help pay bills. Could not play anyway right? I got better, hand still what it was. Over the years I would go into a music store and try a bass. Usually pretty embarrasing. I came to realize thought that it was mostly my fault. I was embarrassed. i tried to play the way I used to and couldn't. SO, I gave up.
    Years later though I felt the need again so I bought a cheap but serviceable bass on Ebay and tried a lot of different angles and approaches. Now, guess what? I can play bass again! It is harder, Its at a weird angle and I have to move it a lot but I am better because I have to be more serious about what I do! SO, Now I love bass better the second time around. Now I play for the love of playing.
  8. Pet Sounds

Pet Sounds

Great story, Stephensa!