Low A string volume.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by dhuff8870, Dec 8, 2013.

1. dhuff8870

dhuff8870

Hi, I recently changed strings on my fender jazz to DR neon strings. I believe the old strings were Ernie ball round wound. After I put the neons on, I noticed the A string volume was considerably lower than the other strings. I thought the problem was a dead string, so I replaced the A string. The volume is still low. I tried adjusting string height but it doesn't help. I never noticed the old strings having this problem (I haven't had the bass long so I guess it's possible but unlikely). The bass is tuned one half step down. Does anyone have any ideas? Is this a known problem with DR strings?
  2. dhuff8870

dhuff8870

3. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

Maybe you twisted the string? I hear that's a common user error with DR string installation.
  4. Rob22315

Rob22315

There are at least two other causes of low volume on a new string.

1) Release of tension in the winding during install. You should bend the string at the end you insert into the tuner before you trim it. Trimming first could cause the winding to lose tension in the first couple of inches close to the nut. IIRC, the instructions that came with my Black Beauties were clear on this.

2) You got a bad string from the manufacturer. DR is allegedly good about replacing dead strings if you contact them. I don't have any direct experience with them on this so I'm going by postings here on TB.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. dhuff8870

dhuff8870

I already replaced the string once.
  7. Rob22315

Rob22315

Then it's more likely your install technique than a bad string from the manufacturer. Take the current string out of the tuner and make sure it isn't twisted, then reinstall.

Do you bend the string first before trimming the end? If you're using a hex core string, this isn't likely a problem because the corners on the core tend to grab the winding. If you're using round core strings, then it's possible the winding is slipping when you make the cut.
  8. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Is this a Fender or similar bass? Sounds like the infamous A string issue they have. Make sure you're putting enough downforce on the nut by allowing 4-5 winds to go around the tuner.

Also, since you're using round core strings pay special attention to the crimping instructions inside the package.
  9. Linnin

Linnin

I've gone through two sets of DR Neons on my 2012 Fender American Standard Jazz bass, and have found them to be excellent. String -to-string consistancy is amazingly good with equal volume and great tone.
  10. tylerwylie

tylerwylie Supporting Member

The Fender "A string" issue only impacts open notes.
  11. dhuff8870

dhuff8870

Thanks for the advice, I'll try re stringing it and see if it helps.