1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Low B tension question

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by krovx, Dec 12, 2013.

1. krovx

krovx Supporting Member

I have a 35" MTD and the low B is down a half step and sounds superb. The strings are Daddario Chromes with said string being a .132. Switching to a 34", how much tension would I lose? I know there are guitar tension calculators, but I can't find one for bass.

2. bass12

bass12 Fueled by chocolate Supporting Member

You could always call up Mike Tobias and ask him - I'm sure he'd be pleased to talk with you about it.

3. KingRazor

KingRazor

For 35" scale:
    T (Tension) = (.00314193 x (2 x 35 x 29.14)^2) / 386.4

For 34" scale:
    T (Tension) = (.00314193 x (2 x 34 x 29.14)^2) / 386.4

You have about 33.83 pounds of tension now, you'd have about 31.93 pounds of tension switching to 34".

4. Brams77

Brams77 Supporting Member

Where does the gauge come into pay here?... I think it's much more a matter of feel... How much the string moves/vibrates if you want the same sort of feel to the string on a 34' tention wise you could go for one step thicker gauge, that way you'll get close. Altho I have a mtd 535 24 and a tobias signature 5 I use the same strings on both
    To me it doesnt make that much of a difference...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. KingRazor

KingRazor

He's playing D'Addario chromes with a .132 gauge low b string, which is the heaviest gauge they make in chromes. He can't go one higher...

7. krovx

krovx Supporting Member

This. Thanks again King for the calculation. I want to purchase the four string version of my MTD and wanted to know the impact of the scale difference.

8. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

I believe MTD offers 35" scale 4 strings.

9. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks Supporting Member

10. krovx

krovx Supporting Member

Yes. Not in the Kingston series though, which is my price range.

11. Jensby design

Jensby design

:eyebrow: I like math but :eyebrow: just :eyebrow:
    Take what ever the tension is multiply that by 0.94387431268 that will give you the answer.
    Yes, I am serious and yes, I know I am a nerd :meh:

12. KingRazor

KingRazor

I just copied and pasted from the D'Addario string tension pdf. ;)

13. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

You really don't want any larger diameter, anyway, because any larger diameter and the mass of the string will lose overtones.

OK, since we're all getting that way, I gotta say it: with the offset of the bridge for intonation compensation, it will be a tad longer than 34 inches, so the tension will be about 32 pounds.

Bottom line: you won't feel much difference, if any.

14. knuckle_head

knuckle_head

Disclosures:
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    Question for you; how many different string designs have you had the opportunity to try? I am not talking brands - I mean tapered vs full thickness vs bare core etc.

15. Jensby design

Jensby design

So you gain fundamentals :confused:
    :eek: That sounds like a terrible idea :eek:

16. fnordlyone

fnordlyone Supporting Member

The answer to what? I thought the question was in regards to figuring out the tension… I'm lost here :confused:
    fnord!

17. Jensby design

Jensby design

:eyebrow:did that guy just quote himself ?

18. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

Since 1976; I've lost count.

It's easier to tell you what I have not tried over the last 38 years: I haven't tried EB Cobalts yet; I haven't tried the new "flexible" D'Addario steels, as they are brand new. I haven't tried Pyramid flats.

That leaves just about everything else, including strings that have been discontinued for years, including original Fender nylon sleeves and some other esoterica, like Gibson bass strings. Yes, they did make them, or at least contracted them out, at one time many years ago.

I have even had the pleasure of playing original Maxima flats all those years ago. They left my fingers black.

Original Reds were better than the new Reds, which sound damped to me because of the coating. But yes, they would turn brown very quickly. But I never had a set of strings that sounded better for electric bass in college jazz band.

I played Progressives when they were the "new" string. They taper.

I keep several small allen wrenches and my #1 Phillips screwdriver handy in my gig box so I can try new strings, tapered or not, and adjust my bridge saddle accordingly as I am installing them.

Most B strings of a gauge of .130 or less benefit from being tuned to C, or up a fret, to balance the feel of the E string while retaining the consistency of tone. It take a while to get used to, but after I did, it was great. I mean, low B is nice, but how often does a person, unless they just really focus on the genres that use them, need a note lower than the C, which being the sub octave is the same lowest note on the pedals of church pipe organ, and the lowest C on a piano keyboard?

19. MR PC

MR PC

I have a lot of popcorn.:)

20. fnordlyone

fnordlyone Supporting Member

Needless to say, that was no clarification.
    In order to figure out the tension, I first must know the tension and multiply it by your magic number and then I get?
    I must have missed the first step. Really trying to learn, here, just confused.

fnord!

21. KingRazor

KingRazor

He was telling you how if you know the tension of a string on a 35" scale, that you could multiply it by that number to find out the tension of the same string at 34" scale.