Low cost tube head - Bugera 1960 vs Peavey VB-2? Or?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by AlexanderB, Oct 23, 2013.

1. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Are there any comments on these two low cost options for the "tooob nooob"? ;)

I have very nice sounding SS amps but in 17 years of bass playing I have never owned a tube amp. Ampegs are very expensive in Sweden, even used ones. Actually, a used, Asian made SVT CL or a vintage V4B cost more than the above amps, new... Old Bassman amps seem kind of weak and so do old Traynors, Selmer etc.

I see the above amps as a possibility to try out the concept without ending up with a lot of bench time with old gear... In my current band (power trio) we play jazz/blues/old rock; John Scofield, Hendrix, some John Mayer, ZZ top, Scott Henderson etc.

2. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Are EBS any cheaper for you? I love my Classic t90, but its on the spendy side in the States.

3. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist Gold Supporting Member

there is a pignose in the classifieds here really cheap, it's like an ampeg v4b, 100 watts, pretty loud and grindy with the right cabs

4. zachoff

zachoff

Traynor YBA. I wouldn't trust anything from Behringer/Burgera.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    VB-2 gets a nod from me.

7. dubhnight

dubhnight

Bugera 1960 is nice actually. I love mine and it would fit the sound you're after nicely, but I can't guarantee that it'll be reliable. Some people don't seem to trust them. You'll need a decent cab though I'd say. A lot of people are skeptical that they put out 150w but I wouldn't be so sure, they have a tried and tested design with larger tubes added. Even at that, the difference between 150 and 100 isn't huge, especially with tubes. I like mine, that's all I can say.

8. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Thanks for the replies!

Ender, the T90 is definitely expensive here - almost twice the cost of the VB-2. I have tried it in a shop and it did not stir any emotions. Not bad, but limited in function and output... No master volume, limited tone controls (high + low only) and bulky. "Made in China" with a "Made in Western country" price tag.

mppd, Classifieds on TB does not do much for me in Sweden - vrong voltage and frequency, high shipping, no trying before buying etc.

zachoff, Traynor has no distribution in Sweden at all.

CL400Peavey, noted. One could have guessed... ;)

One advantage with the Peavey is the two Ohm tap. It will be easy to hook up two Ampeg SVT-410HLFs without custom cables.

9. christw

christw Get low!

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    Custom cables are very easy to make on your own, but that is a valid point.

The Bugera will need a very efficient or very big cab to be loud and clean. Put one on an Ampeg 810 and it's overdrive bliss. I would opt for the Peavey for its versatility. The Bugera is sort of a one trick pony.

10. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Thanks!
    It is no problem to make a set of serially connected cables for the Bugera but it would mean that I had to bring a pair of regular cables as well to the gigs (so I can use my backup amp in case of failure).

11. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

The vb-2 is pretty cool, I have had nothing but good sounds out of mine.

12. bravesaint5

bravesaint5

:eek: Old Traynors weak?!? Why I've never...

I've got a late 70's Traynor YBA-1a that is my baby. Paired with a vintage Carvin 15" cab using a JBL D140R, this is my "there's no such thing as too much good vintage tone" rig. Not sure which vintage Traynors you've checked out, but check out the 1a if you get a chance.

Other than that, I'm interested to hear about inexpensive modern tube amps as well.

13. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah VERY enthusiastic walks... Supporting Member

Media:
    I personally prefer something with 6550's, but given your options the Peavey may be your best bet. Just make sure you register with them and keep your receipts in case you end up with the internal fuse failure like I had with mine.

14. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Peavey has a reputation for making dependable stuff.
    Behringer/Burgera has a reputation for making crap.

15. M. Owen Santy

M. Owen Santy Banned

Disclosures:
    Michael Tobias Designs Kingston Series & Traynor Amps Artist
    Traynor YBA300. Nothing better for low dough.

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Only played the VB-3 but I thought it was pretty nice. Respek to Peavey for that one. Behringer, OTOH...well what can you say about a company like Behringer that hasn't already been said about GMO's? ;)

17. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Dingwall ABZ Player Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I picked up a Peavey VB2 and wouldn't trade it for any other tube head. There are a couple for sale in the TB classifieds right now.

18. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

If You can get Your hands on a Fame BVH300 (=Eden E300T, both are Smarvo's) try one.

6*KT88 CP tubes (EH/Sovtek in mine) will give You about 200W before clipping.

I can guarantee that You won't be disapointed, if my Fame is any indication of the quality that is.

Depending on the tubes ~500€ should be in the ballpark, the Fame was 662€ shipped.

I wouldn't let mine go for that though ;).

Regards
    Sam

19. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

This. You are comparing an amp that has a great reputation as a fantastic valve head to a Behringer. Enough said...

20. kurosawa

kurosawa Supporting Member

Selling 3 obscure all tube 100w ones. One is a lightweight, two are old school tough and heavy. They can be found. Look around locally. Take your time. Buy used.

21. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

If modern bass heavy tones are the requirement, any old or new 100W tube amp will sound weak unless there's a wall of speakers.
    IME anyway.

IMO the key is to use them for the tones they're good at, and leave the modern stuff for the modern (SS) amps.

Like I do ;).

Don't know about Sweden, but over here in Finland Peavey has always been overpriced, most unreliable stuff one can buy.

Perhaps the crappy distributor back in the day bought factory seconds or rejects and slapped 'em with the MADE IN USA extra on the price, I don't know, but I have yet to see a reliable and decent sounding Peavey product.
    I've been cussing at 'em since mid 80's.

I wouldn't recommend anything Peavey for anyone unless it's dirt cheap.

Surprisingly I have never witnessed a total Behringer/Bugera failure, and I have used quite a few. Only one EP1500 power amp failure that remedied itself when I tried to diagnose it I do remember.

Those companies have totally different reputation and that I do loathe, but their prices and reliability on processors and mixing desks for example can't be beat.
    IMLE Bugera tube amps are really good value for the little coin they cost.

The 3 year warranty is also hard to beat if something actually goes wrong.

IME anyway.

Regards
    Sam