low end almost non existent

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by PopeSalad, Feb 7, 2013.

1. PopeSalad

PopeSalad

I play a Schecter Stargazer 5 string. I play though a direct box into the PA at church. problem is upon hearing a loud pop when i plugged in, now my low end went out. it sounds passive now. no matter what knobs i turn, no matter what new battery i put in. it makes no difference. the sound is not thunderous like it once was. my bass is now a shadow of its former self. the other bass players play a Fender Jazz and a Ibanez SG..i think its a Ibanez SG. Their basses remain unaffected and are now blowing my bass out of the water instead of the other way around like it was. I hope Iput this in the right forum. when the other bass players active bass has the battery out it lost its low end as well, but when the battery went back in the low end returned on their bass. any ideas whats wrong and what has happened to mine?

2. john m

john m Supporting Member

Sounds like your preamp is shot.

3. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Have you tried a different direct box? do you have a amp you can plug in and check your bass? have someone use you direct box and verify it's working properly.

4. PopeSalad

PopeSalad

Yes. we tried three different direct boxs with the same results. as for the pre amp, this is my first active bass. i'm not familiar with the preamp of a instrument. where is it located and how is it changed?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Your preamp is the active EQ part of your bass. It's the reason you claim to have booming low end (normally) and an increased output signal. Active electronics rely on a power source (the 9V you put into your battery slot) to increase the output of your bass (hotter or louder signal) and also have active EQ functionality (I believe there is at least bass and treble 2-band EQ knobs on the Schecter).

Essentially, what could've happened is a surge that fried the preamp of your bass, making your active electronics kaput (assuming it wasn't shoddily connected in the first place).

Three things you can do:
    1. (If you haven't already) Replace the battery with a new one - just to make absolute sure it wasn't the power source that was bad

2. Take it to a tech and be prepared for a replacement preamp. Unless you are familiar with electronics and soldering, you will need a professional to help you out.

3. Accept that you can only play it in passive mode (as it looks like the bridge pickup is a passive pickup). Being in the bridge position, you'll find the pickup will give you a more mid and treble forward tone, and lack the signal output that you liked with active electronics.

EDIT: Just reread OP. You've tried different batteries, so that leaves you with two options. :meh:

7. PopeSalad

PopeSalad

thanks! i called the tech i took my bass to. they are a schecter dealer. he didnt seemed thrilled about replacing the preamp and whatnot, if that was what was wrong with it. lol

8. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings Supporting Member

The thing that I'm finding interesting in this post is... what actually happened? If you're preamp is indeed fried... what fried it? Plugging into an amp really shouldn't do that. I'm suspecting that your preamp was hanging on by a thread and just looking for an excuse to give it up.

Keep us posted about what the tech finds.

9. PopeSalad

PopeSalad

that's about what the tech at Kentucky music said. "IT shouldn't have done anything to this bass since the power is running away from it sotospeak. if anything it sound have done something to the mixing board." I don't know. they said they would get back to me in a couple of days. i will keep this updated as to what they find.

10. rollcall

rollcall

11. PopeSalad

PopeSalad

12. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

Look for loose wires. Price the new preamp options. You might be able to get a Bart or other quality pre for the same bucks as what came with the bass.

Bass isn't the cheapest instrument. Check out the bite on a set of Spiros for an upright. That will put the pre in perspective.