low end non existent

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by PopeSalad, Feb 7, 2013.

1. PopeSalad

PopeSalad

This is a post i wrote today in the wrong forum so i think i found the right forum here. being as this is a electrical issue.

I play a Schecter Stargazer 5 string. I play though a direct box into the PA at church. problem is upon hearing a loud pop when i plugged in, now my low end went out. it sounds passive now. no matter what knobs i turn, no matter what new battery i put in. it makes no difference. the sound is not thunderous like it once was. my bass is now a shadow of its former self. the other bass players play a Fender Jazz and a Ibanez SG..i think its a Ibanez SG. Their basses remain unaffected and are now blowing my bass out of the water instead of the other way around like it was. I hope I put this in the right forum. when the other bass players active bass has the battery out it lost its low end as well, but when the battery went back in the low end returned on their bass. any ideas whats wrong and what has happened to mine?

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

you're indeed in the right place and yep, that sounds like your preamp has gone south; kinda unusual though, typically blown preamps give you dead silence, not a weak sound.

i'd get it looked at, there's a slim chance it's something goofy like a bad connection somewhere.

3. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

My best guess too. Sounds like your electronics went out. I wonder whether the DI box might be compromised.

4. bumperbass

bumperbass

Sounds to me like you may have blown the output coupling cap coming out of your preamp. I'd check that DI box for sure. Sounds like there might be D.C. somewhere. Are you phantom-powering anything from the mixer? I wouldn't use that DI again until it gets checked!

5. Register to disable this ad