1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Low F#

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by TBAR Shane, Feb 2, 2013.

1. TBAR Shane

TBAR Shane

I'm considering dropping the high C from my 6 string, in exchange for a low F#. I'm wondering if anybody has some reccomendations for who to go with for a decent F# string.

2. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

3. ruins

ruins

there are some (few) options around but your best bet is, Circle K strings.

another thing is that for this thick strings in almost certain that you will have to modify your nut for the string to fit in and also possibly (but not necessarily)the hole in your tuner too.

looks like Mr_Music90 was faster to mention them :)

4. Thomas Kievit

Basicly those are the only 2 I know :p Not so well known with company's that make F# strings.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ruins

ruins

neither do i but here is another option:
    Warwick Black Label Stainless Steel Dark Lord

7. Thomas Kievit

Ah yes, that was the custom 4 stringer tuned F# B E A :p Could work as well, then you have to buy 2 single strings extra..

8. TBAR Shane

TBAR Shane

Thanks for the pointers everybody. Hopefully I won't need to modify anything for it to fit.

9. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 EBMM Nut Supporting Member

I'm almost certain you'll have to modify the nut on it. The F# will be one fat string!

10. knumbskull

knumbskull

You'll need to file your nut a bit otherwise the strings will be sat there on top like your mum trying to fit into a bucket seat.

11. Thomas Kievit

Most F# strings have a gauge of .175 so I'm pretty sure you have to modify the nut ;) Also, if you get thicker gauges for the other strings (for example, the E string is a .105 and it gets fitted with a Low B with a string gauge that's .130), you have to modify those parts of the nut too.

12. TBAR Shane

TBAR Shane

So I've tried moving all of the strings down a spot to test, and they all fit withing their new slots. So I'm remaining optimistic that this pattern will repeat for the F#. If not I'll do what I have to.

13. Thomas Kievit

Fitting isn't the problem, the height of the strings mostly is ;) It should be close to the fretboard.

14. TBAR Shane

TBAR Shane

That's what I mean by fitting lol. they're fitting within the slots, and sitting where they should.
    I should note that this is a Warwick. So I can adjust the height of the just-a-nut. So far I haven't had to, though I can see how that may change with the added tension of the F# string.

15. ruins

ruins

pics and video clips once you are done please :)

16. GODSBASSMAN

GODSBASSMAN

Another option for stainless steel strings is Rotosound drop zone strings. .02 :O)

17. ixlramp

ixlramp

Warwick 2 piece bridge? You might have trouble with Circle Ks as they have a short taper of 1.625" http://circlekstrings.com/CKSIMAGES/CircleKspecs.pdf. However some people are using CKs on 2 piece bridge Warwicks, i don't know how they made them work. A shame for you since i consider them the best subcontra strings available. Another option is SIT / Snakeskins from Conklin http://www.conklinguitars.com/bass_strings.html, these probably have a longer exposed core which should work well with a Warwick 2 piece bridge (but contact them to check). You want the .165 for F# the .150 will be too loose.

18. tylerwylie

tylerwylie Supporting Member

Going from B-C to F#-G should with a .175 F# string should result in very little tension changes on the neck. Maybe even slightly less tension.

19. Thomas Kievit

Yeah, sure thing! :p I think you should get atleast .165 for a F# string, although I recommend .175

20. WarwickOfficial

WarwickOfficial

Disclosures:
    Warwick & Framus Social Media
    The Warwick F# string is a .175 gauge, and works very well. It is what we recommend for our basses with the low F#. Thanks!

21. TBAR Shane

TBAR Shane

Thanks. I was concerned about the tapering at the bridge. I've had bad experiences with D'iadarrio not tapering their B strings at the bridge, and it's a pain to keep them in place.