Low Impedance Frankenbass

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by The old guy, Jan 8, 2013.

1. The old guy

The old guy

I started this project a little over a year ago. I just began playing bass and as a result of stature and trying out a variety of instruments it seemed the Gibson SG’s were the best fit. I did not like the sound of them nor their earlier EB counter parts and I felt perhaps I could customize something ala Sheehan, by augmenting an original mudbucker with a second more modern pick up.

AS a result of several of my posts here and other research on TalkBass and The Last Bass Outpost I decided to incorporate a Pit Bull into a badly damaged Slot Head EBO . Days before I began a surprise set of pickups became available on Ebay which sent me off in an entirely different direction with results being what you see here. I have been over my head on this thing for almost the entire time and thank my lucky stars that it ended up being as nice playing and nice sounding as it is instead of kindling. I would love to hear what you think. BTW I owe a huge debt to David at SGD Luthiers. We only spoke briefly but I found his posts and his generous willingness to share knowledge everywhere. A great deal of that knowledge was put to use here.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Meddle

Meddle

Amazing looking thing. A '70s Gibson that never was! How does it sound? I presume it irons out the usual EB0/3 quirks and has quite a broad tone?

3. Triad

Triad Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Bass Builder
    It's really got a nice vintage vibe, congratulations! :)

4. The old guy

The old guy

Thank you very much!, you captured in words exactly what I was trying to create. Almost polar opposite of the EB3. It sounds almost identical to the Gibson Triumph Recording bass. I created the wiring directly from the Triumph recording bass schematic on the Gibson website. The tone can be very modern on some settings but I can still get very close to a 60's deep bass vibe on others. Really versatile

5. Register to disable this ad