Low mids and High mids

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by makanudo, Dec 8, 2012.

1. makanudo

makanudo

I'm sorry for posting this if it doesn't belong here but I just couldn't figure out a better place to post this. Feel free to move the thread to it's correct section. :p

Anyway simple question, Could you please explain to me how said frecuencies work?

As far as i know higher mids help with attack and cutting through the mix while lower mids give more punch.

Feel free to correct me.

Thanks!

2. arai

arai

Sounds about right to me

3. VeganThump

VeganThump

4. makanudo

makanudo

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. countrybass007

countrybass007

I find myself adjusting the mids more from venue to venue than either the bass or the treble, it's what cuts thru the mix.

7. VeganThump

VeganThump

Yeah same here, I generally keep my treble flat and my bass around 11ish, then I work my low and hi mids to taste.

8. Russell L

Russell L

Problem often is that an amp doesn't provide control over the frequencies you wanna manipulate. Like my Little Mark III, lows are 40, low mids are 360, high mids are 800, highs are, well, high (I forget). I can't get at 100, 200, etc. EQ pedal time, I reckon.

9. VeganThump

VeganThump

Yeah I added a 6 band MXR EQ so I could get the right frequencies. I run a Sansamp RBI w/ a power amp for my head so my EQ options are limited to begin with, not to mention the baked in mid scoop. I think 40hz is WAY too low for a bass knob, the RBI is at 50 and I find I need to cut that some and give a slight boost at 100hz on my MXR pedal, otherwise it gets a little booty. If you go with the MXR beware, the slightest movements, whether boosting or cutting, make a HUGE difference, the sweep is +/- 18db!

10. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    For whatever reason I've always got along good with the old GK 4-band eq's. It goes 60, 250, 1khz, 4khz. Don't know what the Q's are but they're not overly narrow, boosts sound musical at least for a ways over on the dial. The magic is in the middle 2 knobs...lotta tone there. The bass is high enough to be effective, though I still just use it to cut unless a cab is really shy down there. The treble is low enough to actually do something to a cab without a tweeter.

The Ampegs with the mid selector switches also have a lot of tone happening in the mids there. I liked my SWR too with all those mid sweeps, but I'm finding that just a few knobs done well are enough for the vast majority of situations. Really boomy, hollow stages are where I might miss a more surgical eq, but haven't been playing many of those recently for some reason.

11. makanudo

makanudo

Well my amp is an Acoustic B100 combo amp, so I'm working with that.

It has a notch filter from 50hz to 1khz, Low at 60 hz low mids at 340hz, high mids at 2khz and highs at 10hz

I've been reading the thread that was linked above, where they give some brief explanation of how these work but i haven't actually tweaked the EQ yet. Will do today when i get home.

12. kurosawa

kurosawa Supporting Member

I have plenty of knobs to get my sound right, but I don't use them much. Probably my normal sound is much too bony for most players' tastes. But it ensures I can limit my volume to equal the bass drum while still being intelligible. I just set my tube head flat (if I were pickier, I'd add a 2-band full parametric). I also have the Hartke VXL's Shape circuit on tap for swamp bottom. That's it for sound. I set it and forget it.

I also have a 10-band MXR M-108 stomp box EQ for the room. That's all it's for, fixing the way the rig and room interface. Some day I'll replace it with a 1/3 octave EQ for precision. You can figure out the exact freq that's troubling you either by pitch (if you can name the offending note and calculate) or just use hit-and-miss (you jack up sliders one at a time until suddenly it gets way worse, that's the one you cut).

Anyway I just mentioned this because it saves time to keep these 2 things separate.