1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Low output on my 68 JazzBass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by damos, Feb 2, 2013.

1. damos

damos

hello

I really have a very low output volume on my jazz bass 1968, the pickups at this time are less powerful or is it the demagnetization ?
    The Pickups have the correct DC resistance i think. I have 6,24 for the neck and 6,46 k for the bridge..

Thanks

2. abemo

abemo

My first inclination would be to look at pickup height or something going on with the volume pots. Also, what are you comparing it to when you refer to low output? How low are we talking? Is there another bass that's louder? If so, what kind? Different basses can easily produce different volumes.

3. damos

damos

Hello,
    No the pickups height is correct, pots work, i compare this bass (Fender 1968) with a new american standard Jazz from 2008...
    Perhaps vintage pickups are not too hot than the new one ?
    Thanks

4. maturanesa

maturanesa

6k is a low rate... i think modern fender have something about 9 and 11.... plus the alnico magnets from 1968 should be weaker than the "new" ones on the 2008...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. damos

damos

hello
    I must replace the pickups or put an external preamp between the bass and the amp ?

Thanks

7. narud

narud Supporting Member

modern 4 string j pickups are 7k range. the custom shop 60's can have neck pickups in the high 6k range.

8. maturanesa

maturanesa

9. jmceachern36

jmceachern36 Supporting Member

If they're not working correctly you can get them fixed. Don't replace them. I sent my old pickups to Lindy Fralin. He had them working nice.

10. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    Really, what does it matter how hot the output is if the bass sounds good? Just turn it up. Don't associate good tone with hot output. They're not related.

12. damos

damos

hello

Yes the sound is good now i need to find good external uncolored preamp..

Thanks for yours answers

13. narud

narud Supporting Member

you might consider putting a screwdriver to the poles and see how much magnetic pull they have. a friend a while back bought some aguilar p bass pickups and they had a very weak output. the dc resistance was fine though. turned out the magnets were fully charged.

14. damos

damos

Hello

That Jason Lollar say :

If one of the magnets are flipped the wrong way, it will cancel the magnetic field to zero, and will dramatically reduce the output. Try taking one magnet and flipping it so the side touching the poles is now the farthest away from the poles and see what it does. This is common with that type of pickup, people take the bottom off and the magnets will fall out. There will be two screws on the bottom of the pickup; loosen them and you can flip the magnet. Be careful not to overtighten them because the tortoise shell bobbin is fragile. If it needs rewound I can do that or if you need a complete new pickup made I can do that too. See if the magnets are flipped or if it has an open coil first.
    Perhaps...

Thanks

15. bassdude51

bassdude51 Supporting Member

JimmyM is 100% correct with his statement.

The Fender Jazz Bass is not a high output bass guitar, compared to the P Bass.

The reason why? The neck and bridge pickup are wired in parallel. So, if the neck pickup is 7k ohm and the bridge is 7k ohm, when the volume for both is full, the combined ohms for the 2 pickups is 3.5 k ohm.

Compare that to the P pickup at about 10.5 k ohm.

That's why the Jazz Bass has less output. Turn the volume or gain up! Problem solved.

(if you turn off one pickup or the other and play only one pickup, you'll get the power of 7 k and you'll notice that your J bass is slightly louder than when both pickups are used together.)

16. depalm

depalm Gold Supporting Member

But did you noticed that the pickups were getting weak along the years or did you just compared it with new ones?

My 78P had a nice output when I bought it (early 80s), but about four or five years ago, I started to notice that it was loosing power. As it was a 70s Fender, I had no doubts in replace the original PU for a Nordstrand NP4. But I don't know if I'd do that on a 68.

Best you can do is take it to a good tech and see what is going on with your instrument.