1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Low piezo DI volume?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by neonrich, Dec 12, 2013.

1. neonrich

neonrich

I am using a Darkglass B7K for mag tone, straight to a power amp.

I also have a RMC piezo with internal preamp that I effect & run separately into the same channel on the power amp via a Sansamp BDDI Deluxe.

The other channel on the same amp is used for guitar.

There is an enormous discrepancy in the volume output of the two DI's.. the B7K being capable of significantly more gain. I've switch the two DI's around for an experiment as I'm aware the piezo output would naturally be lower, but don't really want to stop using the B7K for the mags.

It seems really quite difficult to obtain decent enough gain for the piezo output to be blended evenly alongside the mags.

Is this a normal trait of the Sansamps vs Darkglass?
    Can anyone suggest good cost effective solution, whether it is worth using a further boost pedal, or something similar?

Thanks!
  2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Exactly how are you connecting the DI's into one channel of the amp?
  3. neonrich

neonrich

The CSX800 has two parallel, bridged inputs per side/channel.
    I've run 2 mag inputs into each prior without issue. I tend to run a VBass in parallel with a regular bass signal using this method & have had no problems.
    The issue lies with the 'amplification' prior to it reaching this input, which was the core of my question.
    I have an RMC preamp built into the bass, so no need for a dedicated DI, unlike other piezo equipped instruments.

Any other thoughts?
  4. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

5. seansv

seansv

If it wasn't for that built in pre I'd go for the radial pz-pre. Maybe the smallest format mackie vlz-4 would do you well.
  6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Can't you just turn down the B7K to match the Sansamp? If that results in levels that are too low, then yes a boost pedal is all you need for more gain. You can also use a small mic pre.
  7. neonrich

neonrich

Ah, the answer I expected...!
    The B7K and amp are nicely balanced, so I don't want to mess with that part of the setup.
    The output is very low on the piezo side anyway, so we're talking a big shift in volume to achieve that.. so it isn't practical in this case.

I'm curious about the gain levels achievable from the Sansamp, as every one I have owned (I still have 3) has been relatively low gain.. the B7K is significantly better.

Boost sounds like the only good answer so far, unless I'm missing something else?