1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Low tension/light gauge for 6 string

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by akuma12, May 2, 2005.

1. akuma12

akuma12

I've been doing a lot of searching but I can't seem to make up my mind.

I'm trying to find a light gauge with lower tension for my 6 string. I've been looking at the Ken Smith Slap Masters 6, which is .028-.120 with a .095 E string, but I don't want a super zingy sound. I'd like something a little more versatile, though honestly I don't know what the Slap Masters would sound like. Can anyone make a suggestion on a brand that might have a 6 set with lower tension and gauge? Thanks much!

Jim
  2. bassteban

bassteban

I had a (used)Corvette 6 w/what I was told were Thomastiks- very low tension, & a great B. They also had the sweetest tone I ever heard- kind of 'old Fender', almost flatwound-sounding, but better sustain. Very light gauge, w/green silk ends. I just put TI's on my Stambaugh 6(Superalloy); red silk, & not low-tension. I like them; they're not nearly as bright as KS Rockmasters, but next time I'm going to make a better effort at finding those same green-ended, low-tension TI's.
  3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee

The red silked TI rounds are Superalloys. Purple silk TIs are Powerbass. The green silked TIs are Jazz Rounds.

I saw this thread, and instantly thought of the Jazz Rounds. I think they are exactly what you are looking for, Akuma.
    They only come in one gauge, so you won't have to try very hard to find them. :D

I've been getting my strings from www.mymusicstuff.com and he has the lowest price on TI stuff I've seen. Shipping time has been 2 days.
  4. bassteban

bassteban

Gotta have the green!
  5. akuma12

akuma12

I've been really considering the TI Jazz Rounds as well, but was unsure due to the price. I've heard the Flats have a rather legendary longevity, how are the Rounds in that regard? For that price I don't want to have to replace them too often. Thanks!
  6. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee

It's my opinion that Thomastik strings are one of the better bargains out there in the bass string world. I had a set of Jazz Rounds on a bass for close to 2 years. And, the only reason I took them off was that I was selling the bass, and wanted to keep the strings. The same goes with the Jazz Rounds--the older they are, the better they sound.

The Jazz Rounds take about a week, or so, to settle in, and they'll continue to sound better and better the older they get. Unless you like really spanky, zingy strings (which you've already said you don't), then I think you'll be surprised by just how long they last. You will certainly measure their age in terms of years, and not weeks, or even months.
  7. Jason Carota

Jason Carota

I use .028-.120 Fodera Diamond (stainless steel) strings on my 6'er. The set has a .100 E. I find they have low tension, while not sounding too "zingy." They last quite a while, too.
  8. akuma12

akuma12

They're not too bright, even being Stainless Steel? I'm kind of shying away from stainless as I've heard it's rougher than nickel and I'm still redeveloping the callouses on my fingers. I remember back when I started I had to keep putting ice on my finger tips. *shudders* :)
  9. Jason Carota

Jason Carota

Nope. Not too bright. Compared to most SS strings I have used, the Foderas are not as rough, either. I find SS DR Lo-Riders to be very rough.
  10. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Supporting Member

Here to revive this thread. Anyone have recommendations of the Ken Smith Slapmaster's nickel equivalent, or the closest thing to the Tomastick light gauge Jazz strings in a round wound Nickel?