1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Low tension nickel strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by toughluxury2010, Feb 25, 2013.

1. toughluxury2010

toughluxury2010

Hi.
    Still a newbie here. Been using Rotosound Swing Bass for 30 years, but due to distributor changes in Australia, hard to come by. Have a nerve problem with my hands now. Play a 1982 custom built Schecter guitar Research P bass with a Warmoth birds eye maple neck. Looking for lower tension, easier on the fingers string - nickel? Anybody recommend any good brands? I've got DR high beam Stainless against Ernie ball nickel on my Washburn, but the EB's went dull pretty quickly.

1982 Schecter Guitar Research Left Hand P Bass (One piece ash body, Warmoth bird's eye maple neck, Bill Lawrence EB60's & Babicz FCH bridge) Markbass CMD102p, Markbass Super Synth, Digitech Bass Chorus, MXR bass envelope filter

Attached Files:

2. lburton2

lburton2 Les Is More

I've been having great luck with Elixirs for the past few years. Consistent string (made by D'Addario & Coated by Elixir) with balanced tone.

D'Addario does a good job and last a reasonable amount of time. I've had bad luck with EB and find Rotosounds very abrasive.

I vote D'Addario or Elixir if you're willing to spend the cash on Elixirs and they're available where you are.

3. toughluxury2010

toughluxury2010

Thanks - I'll give the Elixirs a try. They cost twice as much as other strings, but I've heard they last a lot longer before going dull?

4. bassfreakah

bassfreakah

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist Ernie ball strings
    the Ernie ball coated sound good and last a while and dont have the rubber coating that wears off.
    Eb uses an enamel coating that you cant see or feel. I have uses a few sets and like them but i am enjoying the cobalts by ernie ball.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MOTORHEADBANGER

MOTORHEADBANGER Spud-boy looking for a Real Tomato Supporting Member

Circle K strings. They're nickel/steel hybrids with a ridiculously long lifespan and you can order them in any gauge you want. Their balanced tension sets are amazingly flexible and easy on the fingers.

7. matante

matante

8. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9 Supporting Member

9. Pimpernel Smith

Pimpernel Smith

Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Round wound (Nickel) have very low tension and beautiful tone. They are very easy to play.

10. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 EBMM Nut Supporting Member

Aren't Elixirs kind of stiff? I remember owning an Ibby 6er that came with elixirs on it and felt like they were really high tension.

11. lucam

lucam

They do come in multiple tension. I too find the medium tension set to be on the stiff side, but the light tension set is light for real :)

12. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Yeah you pretty much described DR Sunbeams.

13. Troph

Troph

+1
    I love DR Sunbeams. While they don't sound quite as "massive" as the Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky nickels when slapping (IMO), they have an incredible low-tension feel, and they have their own exceedingly pleasant midrange character with enough "zing" to stand out in the mix.

I like to keep these strung on at least one bass, and I usually find myself playing it more than others. :)

They usually run me about $20 for a 4-string set, which is only a few dollars more than the competition. They're worth it.

14. ixlramp

ixlramp

I recommend trying a balanced tension set, or building one from singles, they are more comfortable to play and less stressful on the body, good for anyone with hand / wrist problems. Also i recommend trying very low tension, perhaps as low as 30 pounds, using a light touch and refining your technique. As a first step i suggest this medium-light balanced set 95 70 50 35. You can use the D'Addario or Circle K Strings tension charts to design your sets, they are roughly accurate for any brand of string.

15. bigswifty1

bigswifty1

They might be miles away from the tone you want, but the Tomastik Infeld Jazz Flats are without challenge the lowest tension strings I have played. They feel like playing with rubber bands. It's hard to imagine the instrument working with anything much softer than these.

16. joebar

joebar

yep
    on every bass i own
    perfect tension
    perfect gauge
    perfect tone

17. Lackey

Lackey

Another vote for Elixir. VERY longlasting tone, starts off sounding broken in and the honeymoon period can last years... serious. I've had the same set on my fretless since I got it 5 years ago.. Fretted basses I change out about once a year. For the record I don't like dead sounding strings either, granted its time to change the fretless..

Oh and they have a nice slick smooth feel to them, very easy on the fingers.

18. toughluxury2010

toughluxury2010

Thanks everyone. Some stuff to ponder. So the DR Sunbeams are nickel, yeah? Might give both those and the Elixir Nanowebs nickel a try. Do you find if you go to a lighter gauge, you sacrifice some of the "fat" sound? (I know you can't have your cake and eat it)

Attached Files:

19. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

You don't have to go with a light gauge with Sunbeams, they have a round core which contributes to the low tension

20. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass

^^^ This!

21. toughluxury2010

toughluxury2010

Hi everyone.
    I must thank you all for your fantastic insight into the previously dark uncharted world of bass strings.

I got a set of the Elixir Nanoweb nickel (45-105) strings today and I've fallen in love with my bass all over again. IMO they feel to be lower tension with a bright (not too much) sound and a soft, smooth feel. Makes it more of a joy to play than I previously thought. I may still try the DR sunbeams when these ones eventually die, or some of the other suggestions. Thank you so much to all of you. You've broken my habit of just buying one particular brand (Rotosound RS66) for the last 30 years. Talk bass is a most useful tool!

Pic attached of home made checker plate pedal board - Markbass Super Synth, Digitech Bass Chorus, MXR Bass Envelope filter. Any thoughts on these? Just bought them

Attached Files: