1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Low tension short scale strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Diesel Kilgore, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

Not too many options out there. Im thinking a light gauge XL may be the way to go.

The only 2 sets ive gone thru on my short scale are GHS Super Steels and GHS Precision Flats. Both are on either end of the tone world and both have too much tension.

Maybe its just the strings, but what im afraid of is that the short scale is providing a tension black hole. Not being able to get a string that will be looser for this scale. What could I try in a round that will have some slink?
  2. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Can't really help, I found all short scale strings are pretty low tension. Interested to hear what others say.
  3. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

Ive heard others say the same thing about shortscales having low tension. But it seems I dont have that with the action im able to get. Especially with rounds. But the tension is higher then id like because of the action...im presuming. Flats are great. But I dont like the tension. Ugh.
  4. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

I have some Pyramid Beatle flat strings on my Hofner to my hands the tension is low and ditto for the Labella Beatle flats.
  5. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Short Scales have lower tension than long scale....

105 on a short scale is lower tension than 105 on a long scale...

What kind of tone are you shooting for? Once we find that we can narrow down what kind of strings you can get it from.
  6. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

I put my GHS flats back on it last night and they feel better. Im thinking maybe its not the tension but that im just not used to how a short scale feels? Ive been running Super Steels which arent made for a short scale and maybe thats why they feel more tense?

The flats feel great and thats what I want to keep strung on this Jag.
  7. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    The Flats are not as flexible as rounds so that could be part of it.

It doesn't matter if a string is made for long scale or short scale... the tension is determined by the vibrating distance between the nut and the bridge saddle.