Low tension strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Jaymi, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Jaymi

Jaymi Pink Bass Man Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Jaydee Basses
    So I am on the hunt for low tension strings in 35-95 or 30-90 gauge in nickel....From all of the experiences on here, I am after some recommendations....
  2. Melonthief

Melonthief

What is your reasoning? Those gauges are going to sound thin. Is it a left hand strength issue or an unstable neck issue? Really those are the only valid reasons for such light strings other than for very young (pre teen) players.
    If it's a neck issue just get a better bass, if it's a strength issue you can exercise and gradually build left hand strength.
  3. Jaymi

Disclosures:
    I have very nice basses and my hands are strong it is just a preference.
  4. Melonthief

Melonthief

Just trying to help, I teach a lot of younger players and I set them up with lighter gauges to begin with and ease them into heavier strings as they build strength. The loss in depth of tone at those gauges is significant.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus Supporting Member

Fodera nickel solved! best sounding best tension in light gaugeseven tone and still pretty deep....nice little grippy feel to them too...but they get smooth after they break in.
    those are my goto nickel when I want thin strings.
  7. Jaymi

Disclosures:
    I appreciate it..I went thru all kinds of gauges for the last 30 yrs or so and I have really gotten a special tone with the light gauges
  8. Jaymi

Disclosures:
    which ones are you using?
  9. Jensby design

Jensby design

IMO more flexible work better for low tension. I'm using Circle K Strings(Kalium) .090 .067 .051 .039 and just for this thread I tuned them down to DGCF they where still quite lively even at such a low tension. I like a little more tension on my G-string just because it catches a little more hell than the rest.
    But if you were willing to try http://www.circlekstrings.com/store/ I recommend getting .079 .059 .045 .033 from the bass singles its $22.00 + shipping.
    Free shipping on order over $50 so if see something else you like on there go nuts :D these strings rock!
  10. Jaymi

Disclosures:
    how well do those balance?
  11. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus Supporting Member

circle K are in my top 3 with Fodera

for light fodera I use .100....they have the best full even sound of any roundcore light tension I have heard.
    the cool thing about Fodera are they are a lighter tension in the fretting hand and a bit stiffer in the plucking hand...so it just feels good all around.
  12. nashman

nashman

You might consider DR Sunbeams ...

LITE-LITE NLLR-40 40 60 75 95
  13. Jensby design

Jensby design

.079 @ E =24.2 lbs
    .059 @ A =24.6 lbs
    .045 @ D =26.1 lbs .043 =23.6 lbs so pick one
    .033 @ G =25.7 lbs .031 =22.9 lbs
    So I'd pretty well.
  14. Jaymi

Disclosures:
  15. bassman28

bassman28 Supporting Member

I've been playing about 40 years and the Rotosound Swingbass 35 to 90's has always been my string of choice.No problem with being thin or punchy with these.Like Jaymi said its preference and not hand strength or novice playing.I just like the way they play and sound,I've had no problem with neck stability.I never have to adjust my Rays.I have seen guy's running 50's on their basses for a long period of time and cause neck issues because of heavy tension.I always check tension specs on strings.You can buy heavy strings with less tension but I've found thst flatwounds are usually the highest stress . Hey Mark King used 30 to 90's and they seem to work for him.It just all comes back to personal taste.I wish Sound City (1970's)still made strings.They were awesome.
  16. Jaymi

Disclosures:
    good stuff