1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Low Tuning Bass strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by dakaunkaun, Feb 13, 2014.

1. dakaunkaun

dakaunkaun

I have a Schecter Stilleto Extreme-4 and I need strings for very low tunings (drop A, A#/Bb). Right now I'm using DR Lo-Riders for Drop-C. The low C is somewhat loose so I raised the action. The real question is what strings would be best for what I want?
  2. 3234718

3234718 Supporting Member

3. Jensby design

Jensby design

What very low A are you talking about here 27.5hz (step lower that 5-stings low B) or 13.75hz(what I call very low A)?
  4. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Rotosound drop zones
  5. MikeCanada

MikeCanada

If you're planning on staying in that tuning or close to it, then a custom set is the way to go. Either Circle K or Bass Strings Online are great because you can build sets and they aren't insanely expensive. If you go into your local shop, most places don't sell singles much outside "standard" 4 to maybe 6 string sets so you'd be out of luck.

Pick the tuning you want, or pick something in the middle if you're planning on doing various drop tunings. Circle K and a few other brands offer tension/tuning charts that let you find what should work best for your desired tuning. Unless you really want that "my strings are falling off my bass" detuned sound that some people are intentionally going for, you'll be much happier with something that actually works.
  6. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit

I don't know how other people think about this, but I would suggest that you should buy a 5 string set and put the B E A D strings on your bass guitar.

This way it's easier to tune to Drop A (whole step down) or Drop A# (lowest string half step down, the rest half step up).

If you're gonna look for some good strings, I would recommend a .145 for the low B string. It's heavy, I know, but this is very crucial if you want to keep the right tension when you tune down :)