1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Low volume in a preamp signaling battery drainage?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Lincoln, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Lincoln

Lincoln Supporting Member

I've got a Glockenklang onboard pre ( which I really like ). It seems though that the volume on the preamp is quite low. I've got to crank it just to be heard above a guitar and drums in a quiet jazz trio. By comparison, my fretless ( packing a piezo ) is loud enough at half volume.
    I'm using a 200 watt Genz Benz combo - which I think should be good enough for a jazz trio...

Would a low battery be causing this low output?
  2. line6man

line6man

Is there a gain pot on the preamp module that can be adjusted?
  3. Lincoln

good question I don't know I'll check the manual...
  4. Lincoln

Okay...the schematic tells me nothing....
  5. mech

mech

If the bass is louder in the passive mode than active with the tone controls boosted, the battery is probably low. If your bass has two pickups, they may have been wired out of phase to the pre. This would reduce volume when the pickups are blended in active or passive mode.
    mech
  6. Lincoln

well it's not louder in passive mode... I have 2 nordy spit coils and I did wire it myself ( tons of fun...) How could the be wired out of phase? I'm an ignorant novice...who after several hours finally got the soldering to have a good connection...)
  7. line6man

line6man

Check the preamp module for trimmer pots...
  8. Bardley

Bardley

I too have a Glock pre and the volume is noticeably softer than my other basses.

There is no volume trim pot on it.

It will soon be going up for sale because the freq centers are just not working for my bass.
  9. Lincoln

what do those look like on here?

Attached Files:

10. line6man

line6man

That tells you absolutely nothing. You have to check the actual preamp, not a diagram.

As Bardley stated though, apparently the preamp does not have adjustable gain.
  11. Lincoln

well darn... it sounds great, though...
  12. Bardley

Bardley

You are correct. It does not, unfortunately.
  13. Lincoln

would using a sansamp BBDI through an effects send input boost the signal?
  14. Lincoln

How about the classic 4-band Audere, is it reasonably loud—louder than the Glock or as loud as an Aggie or Sadowsky?
  15. Bardley

Bardley

I considered this one as well, but I have never used one. The Aggie is probably my first choice to replace it as I have used it in another bass and I am just a little afraid to try the Audere before using one as I may not like it either. I know I would like the Aggie.
  16. Lincoln

I had and Audere in my j-bass and it was great— very clean and versatile. Presented the character of the pickups quite accurately without coloration... I went with the Glock because it had an active-passive push/pull option...
  17. Lincoln

Okay let me redirect this thread— what preamps have a gain pot that can be adjusted?
  18. Smit_Dogg

Smit_Dogg

I have just had a Glock installed into my Yamaha TRB1005J and the volume is low on that too, I have plenty of headroom and really like the Glocks very pure tone, so its no big issue. i also run through a tech 21 VT Bass and this boost signal and gives the output a little more character.