1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Lowballers

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by GlennW, Feb 14, 2014.

1. GlennW

GlennW

These guys used to get on my nerves, but I've learned how to deal with them. Now I stay cool, delete their offers without responding, and block them from bidding. One, two, three, gone.

It's fast, stress free, and fun.

So I'll use the time I saved wisely, and start a thread about it on TB.

I have an item for auction. Payment by USPS MO or certified funds only, flat shipping fee, will ship in CONUS only.

Dude emails an offer less than the starting price, wants free shipping, wants to use PayPal (which means I'd pay their fee, and likely lose 100% of the payment due to the nature of the item), wants me to ship to an address not specified on his account, wants me to reply to different email address (out of the auction site).

One, two, three, gone.

And this morning I have a bid from a solid buyer.

It's just that easy, bag the bozos and move forward.

2. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

There are those who believe that they may be buying from someone who has NO IDEA what the value is of what they are selling.

Some low ball offers are from 'make a statement' types that don't like increasing values (unless they own the valuable product).

3. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Supporting Member

Some lowball offers are made by people of little means who are genuinely putting up everything that they can.

4. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

And on the flip side of that, some people try to sell things for more than the market value.

I've made lower than starting offers in the past, knocked a few hundred off the SVT I bought (simply didn't have the money the seller was looking for at the time, though on saying that, by this point it had sat on ebay for a few weeks with nobody else putting up any offers).

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. baba

baba

When buying and selling its best to simply not get emotional about it. Offer what you want and reject what you want. The market will bear the true value, but remember it only takes one buyer.

7. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

Some are also trying to buy low to flip them for a profit; they're everywhere, including a few active here in TB classifieds.

8. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

True, have seen that happen a few times here.

I've only gotten away with that once, and it was an actual auction (part of it was inventory from a music store that had gone bust). Dare say it wasn't a lowball there though, just what the auctioneer asked (thankfully nobody else seemed to realise you could quite easily flog boxes of brand new Boss pedals!).

9. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

This may be true. Allegedly Danny Thompson received his bass in this manner.

I've given gear to people starting out or really in need.

I don't respond to the offer of half of what it's worth followed by the word "CASH!"

10. BawanaRik

This good advice. If you don't want to do the deal at said price don't.

And while it may be great to get that bass you've always wanted there is always another coming along soon.

I recently purchases a EBMM. I wanted one since before the EB part.

I wasn't in that great a hurry.

11. GlennW

GlennW

This particular item is something no one "needs."

I think he was trying to scam me, get me to accept PayPal, and then have PayPal reimburse him (because they would under the circumstances).

He said he can't get to a PO because he's out of the country, wants me to take PayPal for his lowball offer, wants free shipping (about the same as to ship a bass), and ship it to his wife (who's in the US).

Why can't his wife go to a PO and get a USPS money order?

Somethin's rotten in Bismark.

12. bolophonic

bolophonic

I don't take lowball bids personally, but they do annoy me for some reason.

13. phatcyclist

phatcyclist

Sending an item that no one "needs" that would forfeit the sale through Paypal?

14. GlennW

GlennW

That's not what I said, at all.

15. jugglingfreak

jugglingfreak

It never bothered me. I hate haggling and don't do it.

So if I decide "X" is a fair price. That is the price I will accept. Now if a long time passes and it doesn't sell for that price, I'll re-evaluate and possibly change.

If I'm looking to buy and they have the item I want at what I feel is a fair price, I'll buy it. If not, I move on. It's not worth the time and effort to me to try and talk them down.

Some people seem to "have" to be able to say they talked them down even if it doesn't really gain them anything..

16. phatcyclist

phatcyclist

Alright, I caught that in your second post.

Still, interesting that you're shipping something Paypal would have an issue with. That's a short list.

17. BawanaRik

He might be a Nigerian Bank president. Or maybe not.

I had PayPal issues on an item I sent to Canada.

The winning bidder used feedback black mail to beat me down on shipping and then told PayPal the item never arrived. He then left bad feedback.

I had it removed.

All it takes is one nutter like this guy, tube schematics, to poison the online well.

I no longer ship to Canada due to this and other issues.

18. MrBKerth

MrBKerth Bass Player with Big Local Supporting Member

Depends on what is considered a lowball offer. I've offered people all my budget before which they've rejected (totally fine no fuss no muss), but even on Tb I've offered even a little less than asking price and had sellers get quite upset. A simple no would be fine or putting in the ad "asking price only". I even had a seller start increasing the price on me.

I've had my fair share of ridiculously low offers (like 45% below regular market value) , but as far as legitimate lower than asking price offers its par for the course with classifieds and Cl ads. Oh well

19. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

I've lowballed people on ebay before for camera gear or other stuff but i've used an amount that I've seen before so I'm not totally unreasonable.
    E.g: Someone wants 200 for an old camera body; I've seen it go for $100-150, then I'll ask 100 see if they accept. sometimes it works sometimes it don't. I'm not being a jerk; just going by the street.

20. GlennW

GlennW

They're not hip the 2nd Amendment.

21. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

I don't lowball on TB too many savvy sellers