Lowe Custom Guitars – New Owner & Review. Check these out!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Joe Milstein, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Joe Milstein

Joe Milstein

Disclosures:
    Gamma Bass Guitars
    Hey Folks!

I wanted to take a few minutes to share my experience with this great Custom Bass by Brad Lowe and Lowe Custom Guitars.

It may be odd that I review or comment on another Bass Builder’s instruments, because I am a bit biased, given that I build my own basses and take so much pride in my own work. BUT, I came upon Lowe accidently and was immediate intrigued and drawn to the sites online. After reading about these, and constantly asking questions and regularly returning to the photos, I decided to actually buy one.

NO REGRETS!

As stated on the homepage:

“Lowe Custom Guitars started in 2009 with the goal of combining my lifelong interest in the Musical, Visual and Industrial Arts.

Solid-body electric guitars and basses offer a unique platform to integrate form, color and texture, while combining a wide variety of materials and finishes.

- Lowe Custom Guitars, the Art and Design of Music.”

This is exactly precise!

Here is what you get:

For under a grand (a bargain price), I was privileged to receive this one-of-a-kind bass, Model #012, with the following specs:

- Beautiful Solid Northern Ash Body
    - Milled in the USA by Plaid Sabbath
    - Finished in a Gorgeous Transparent Blonde
    - AllParts Neck
    - Lollar Thunderbird Pick Ups
    - Gotoh Tuners
    - Switchcraft, Electrosocket, Orange Drop Electronics
    - And arrived in a New Lined, Gator Hard Case Shell

I really cannot find a flaw with this bass. Mr. Lowe really has spared nothing. My eyes popped out and jaw dropped when I opened the case. And my ears (and my band-mates’ ears) were amazed at the sound that came out.

This great axe is a true BEAST of a bass. It is definitely NOT for wimps. It thumps, growls and can really rock. Tons of MOJO and MOXY! :ninja:

Not a Jazz bass... I would say it has the combined super qualities of a thunderous Precision bass crossed with Gibson Thunderbird bass and some qualities of the old Mosrite basses. And the looks are just extraordinarily unique... Artwork, Architectural Modern Design and an elite string instrument wrapped up in one. As you can see, there is great attention to detail and spectacular craftsmanship.

One would expect that a Custom Bass like this would cost as much as a new high end Alembic or new high end Sadowsky, so I was pleasantly surprised and very pleased to get this Custom package for under $1000! I would assume that once the production models go into effect, they will hover slightly above this price point…But a fraction of what they are worth and what anything comparable would cost.

Here are a few pictures. Of course they can’t do the bass justice, but you get the idea.

You WON’T be disappointed. Own a masterpiece! Amazing bass!

Check out www.lowecustomguitars.com or http://www.facebook.com/lowecustomguitars

Feel free to send me a message if you have any questions or want any additional information or pictures!

To Brad: “BRAVO”! :hyper:

Cheers!

Joey

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. FC Bass

FC Bass Alembic and Mesa/Boogie junkie Supporting Member

Media:
    Indeed awesome to get a US made custom for that $$$, but I would never expect it to be at the same price level as this:

[​IMG]

Or even at the same price level of a "low end" Alembic:

[​IMG]

3. willsellout

willsellout

Great contribution to the thread, Bro.:confused:

4. bgmww

bgmww

Disclosures:
    Hiwatt UK
    Great review Joe ! thank you.
    I follow Brad's work since he first posted about his basses here on Talkbass.
    The basses look so so great i fall in love with them.. I know i'll get one in the future.
    And what you said about the one you got is exactly what i needed to be 100% sure about getting one.

FCbass... irrelevant comment to a great review. If you love Alembics, that's fine. But the comparisson was unnessesary.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Meatrus

Meatrus

But its not :confused::rollno::confused:.

7. thiocyclist

thiocyclist Supporting Member

Interesting. Sound clips?

8. willsellout

willsellout

I love the pickup positioning in particular. It's not surprising that it's a ballsy bass.

9. thiocyclist

Kind of seems Strat-inspired.

10. Joe Milstein

Joe Milstein

Disclosures:
    Gamma Bass Guitars
    Really not sure of the relevance of this comment... What's the point...? :eyebrow:

And yes, clearly some Strat/Tele influence as well.. Good call!

Brad has a masterpiece here! Captured ALL! And no doubt, more in the pipeline!

Cheers!

Have a great week!

Joey

11. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

They're cool. Is that a BA bridge or BA-type bridge?

12. BeeTL

BeeTL

Disclosures:
    Brad Lowe, Lowe Custom Guitars
    This thread brought to you by www.FCBass.com, purveyors of fine Alembic instruments.

;)

Joey,

Your feedback has been both gracious and exceptionally kind.

I have to admit, I felt like I was taking a bit of a risk selling one of my prototypes to another builder; I saw another builder whose work I respect a great deal have his early work picked apart by someone whose motivations seemed less than earnest.

However, your enthusiasm from the get-go was infectious!

You really seem to understand that getting to this point has been a labor of love for me, and I couldn't be happier that you're enjoying the bass so much!

I'm looking forward to carving out my own little space in the market as a designer/builder/artist who creates instruments that bring "a little something extra" to the player's experience.

I think the production models will be even more special.

:)

That's an Allparts bb3575, my favorite bridge.

Everything you need, nothing you don't.

13. thiocyclist

LOL!!!

14. CliffD

CliffD Supporting Member

Looks badass, I really dig the headstock shape but how would one adjust the trussrod? You'd have to first chisel out some wood...

15. thiocyclist

Looks like you take the neck off like an old Fender.

16. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member

Joey,
    Do you have any action shots? I would love to see what the bass looks like while someone is playing it.
    JR

17. Joe Milstein

Joe Milstein

Disclosures:
    Gamma Bass Guitars
    I don't. But I'd gladly post some with someone playing it. What exactly are you looking for?
    Thanks.
    Joey

18. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member

Thanks... no rush, obviously. I've just been watching these basses for a while and can't quite picture what the hard lines look like on a person. I follow Brad's work on reranch as well.

19. Thick McRunfast

Thick McRunfast Not just good, good enough Supporting Member

20. darkstorm

darkstorm

I also like the positioning of the bridge pup. For the sound tweak it should give. For the body, Id want a forarm contour on the rear upper part. Looks to be well made.

21. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

Well ... looks like you don't need a guitar stand anyway.