1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Lower Tension Flats?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by dregsfan, Feb 24, 2013.

1. dregsfan

dregsfan Supporting Member

So I tried my first flats. D'Addario XL Chromes, and really liked them. But, a little too much tension on them.

So for fun, what do you recommend I try next.

Thanks for the input.

2. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Lower end of the spectrum... TI Jazz flats. Love the low tension personally, fits my playing style and the tone is a class of its own. A bit of a standard on the low tension side of recommendations, and for a reason.

3. neebs

neebs

What gauge where the chromes? I've tried the 40-95's... I don't see how anyone could want anything higher than that! Unless, they desire some serious finger injuries.

I think the 4095s are a bit too heavy for me.

4. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

TI's JF344's.

I am gonna try the Black Diamonds soon but I do love the TI's.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

The TI's are low tension and have a marvelous feel to them, and a punchier sound than the Chromes. Worth every penny!

7. blue4

blue4

What about under $60? I was just thinking I like the tone of my 45-100 Chromes, but they feel so stiff compared to the rounds I have on my other bass. $60 is a bit on the high side for me though.

8. dregsfan

Well TI's are a must try then.

Who makes the Black Diamonds?

Thanks guys.

(9mmMike, Love the dog.)

9. Giorgetto

Giorgetto Fingers on 4 Flatwounds Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Artist Relationship: Wilkins-Ampeg-La Bella
    TI Jazz Flats or while not as low tension but less tension than the chromes you might want to try the La Bella 760FL's (flat light gauge).

10. dregsfan

La Bella 760FL's noted Sir.

Thanks.

Another doggy. Yea.

Pat Wilkins (in your profile) is a great guy.

11. Giorgetto

Giorgetto Fingers on 4 Flatwounds Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Artist Relationship: Wilkins-Ampeg-La Bella
    You're welcome & Pat is the best!

12. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

I suggest if you did not leave them on the bass to play them longer then decide if you like them. TI's are good string but I will warn you they are not for everyone and have maybe more haters than lovers. I have a love/hate relatiionship with them and use the bass with them for select gigs. To use TI's as an everyday all the time string...no way. Chromes (worn in) for me.

13. 9mmMike

The Black Diamonds are a brand. They offer a flat wound that I am keen to try - http://www.juststrings.com/bkd-n300ml.html .

I do not agree with the TI's not being for everyday all the time string. I use them on almost every bass I own and I have never gig'd without them.

14. gary m

gary m

GHS Precision Flats...less tension than Chromes or LaBellas, and amazingly smooth too.

15. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

I got My TI JF344's for $53 from GC Including Shipping. Best money I ever spent! I used discount code "TAXSAVE" and got the extra $10 off.

16. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

Gauge for gauge, La Bellas, Chromes, Fenders, and GHS Precisions are pretty similar -- they are all hex core steel wrapped flats. TI's have much MUCH less tension than any of the other traditional flats, but are an acquired taste IMO.

17. 9mmMike

I concur. I actually started with TI's (first flats). I wanted to like the Fender flats due to the price of the TI's but I found them to be too stiff for my tastes.

18. totallyfrozen

totallyfrozen

Thomastik-Infield Jazz Flats.

Expensive but worth every penny, IMO. Tension is very low (like nickel rounds). After playing on cables like the Chromes, they'll feel like rubber bands to you. REALLY, REALLY nice tone too! They're my favorite strings.

19. dregsfan

Thanks for the input.

I will be trying a set of the TI's.

Looking forward to it.

20. Jazz4

Jazz4

TI flats (JF344) for my go to bass for years. The set I have on now is over 3 1/2 years on my Jazz. And no big change at all. I also use them on my fretless depending on the gig. They share the fretless with DR Sunbeams. TI's for my acoustic.(AB344) And TI's for my Ric.(JR344).
    Other than the JR344's(rounds). The TI flats are a lesser tension string than any round I've ever played.

21. natrontheape

natrontheape

If low tension is what you want... These are the strings for you. They will last forever too with very little change in the tone. I found the E and A to sweeten up a bit. That's all. They have a fantastic tone and are worth the cost.

That being said, I ordered some La Bella's today to try them out. I love the TIs but the tension is REALLY low for me and the tone isn't the same as a thumpy type of flatwound. Don't get me wrong they are great strings. And they're so great I'm sure I'll be keeping them and using them for years.

Hope you enjoy them!